Since 1996, the City of Burnaby has presented the Environment Awards to recognize and celebrate organizations and individuals who contribute their time and effort toward the protection and enhancement of a sustainable environment. Nominations for the Awards are recommended by the Citizen Representatives of the Environment Committee with City Council approval. A presentation for award recipients is held during Burnaby’s Environment Week.
2012 Environment Award recipients Tomas Lang, Kayla Isomura, Jennifer Hao, Catherina Pan and Angela Andrievska with Councillor Dan Johnston, far left, and School Trustee Chair, Larry Hayes, far right, at the June 10, 2012 Environment Awards Reception at the Burnaby Lake Rowing Pavilion.
Environment Awards 2013
The 2013 deadline for submission was April 15.
The Environmental Awards Program consists of two designations; Environment Awards, which are given to groups and individuals for their outstanding environmental achievements; or Environmental Stars, given to recognize the accomplishments carried out on a smaller scale, but equally significant. Awards may be presented in six categories:
- Business Stewardship
- Community Stewardship
- Green Choices
- Planning and Development
Poster copies of the 2013 Terms of Reference are available at City Hall or online. For more information please contact the City of Burnaby Planning Department at 604-294-7400.
Environment Awards and Environmental Stars
Environment Awards 2012
“This event is a significant annual opportunity to recognize groups and individuals who make an important contribution to environmental sustainability in Burnaby,” says Councillor Dan Johnston. “The City of Burnaby is committed to being a leader in environmental sustainability and has had tremendous success in introducing exemplary environmental programs, policies and initiatives in our City. It is because of the leadership and support of local environmental heroes such as those we honour in our Environmental Awards that we have been able to achieve this success to date. We look forward to continuing to work with these environmental leaders to ensure Burnaby continues to be a leader in environmental sustainability.”
On June 10, 2012, at the Burnaby Lake Rowing Pavilion on the banks of Burnaby Lake, the City of Burnaby and members of Burnaby's Environment Committee were pleased to acknowledge and celebrate the 2012 Environmental Awards Program recipients. The following groups and individuals have made significant contributions towards Burnaby's Environment.
2012 Environment Awards
- David and Jane Burkholder for their significant dedication to streamkeeping and environmental stewardship with the Byrne Creek Streamkeepers Society
- Harmony House Project Team for exceptional design and implementation of environmental sustainability in a single-family home
- UniverCity Childcare Centre Project Team for exceptional design and implementation of environmental sustainability in a community facility
- Jennifer Hao, Burnaby North Secondary School student, for her outstanding contributions in raising environmental awareness in Burnaby
- Kayla Isomura, Cariboo HIll Secondary School student, for her outstanding contributions in raising environmental awareness in Burnaby
2012 Environmental Stars
- Kensington Cleaners & Laundry for their commitment to provide an environmentally-friendly dry cleaning alternative for Burnaby
- Nick Kvenich for his noteworthy environmental contributions with the Eagle Creek Streamkeepers Society
- John Templeton for his noteworthy environmental contributions with the Stoney Creek Environment Committee
- Burnaby Committee of the Vancouver Area Cycling Coalition for their dedication to promoting cycling as an environmentally sustainable transportation option in Burnaby
- Angela Andrievska, Burnaby Central Secondary School student, Tomas Lang, Alpha Secondary School student and Catherina Pan, Burnaby South Secondary School student for their noteworthy efforts in raising environmental awareness through the Burnaby Youth Sustainability Network