Since 1996, the City of Burnaby has presented the Environment Awards to recognize and celebrate organizations and individuals who contribute their time and effort toward the protection and enhancement of a sustainable environment. Nominations for the Awards are recommended by the Citizen Representatives of the Environment Committee with City Council approval. A presentation for award recipients is held during Burnaby’s Environment Week.
Environment Awards 2013
“This event is a significant annual opportunity to recognize groups and individuals who make an important contribution to environmental sustainability in Burnaby,” says Councillor Dan Johnston. “The City of Burnaby is committed to being a leader in environmental sustainability and has had tremendous success in introducing exemplary environmental programs, policies and initiatives in our City. It is because of the leadership and support of local environmental heroes such as those we honour in our Environmental Awards that we have been able to achieve this success to date. We look forward to continuing to work with these environmental leaders to ensure Burnaby continues to be a leader in environmental sustainability.”
On Sunday, June 9th, at the Burnaby Lake Rowing Pavilion at Burnaby Lake, Environment Week 2013 culminated with the City of Burnaby’s annual Environment Awards and Environmental Stars Reception. At the reception, members of Burnaby’s environment community were pleased to acknowledge and celebrate this year’s award recipients.
The following groups and individuals have made significant contributions to the sustainability of Burnaby’s Environment.
- British Columbia Institute of Technology Green Team for their implementation, outreach and communication of various environmental sustainability initiatives and programs for faculty, employees and students since 2007.
- Burnaby Youth Sustainability Network for their outstanding and noteworthy contributions to raising awareness of environmental sustainability within Burnaby’s youth community since their inception five years ago.
- Lougheed Town Centre for their commitment to energy efficiency and environmental sustainability in the operation of their shopping mall facility.
- Burnaby Board of Trade for their leadership in developing and implementing the Pledge for a Sustainable Community Program.
- Gail Blatchford for her outstanding environmental contributions with the Stoney Creek Environment Committee.
- Tzu Chi Foundation (Burnaby Team) for their dedication and involvement in environmental education and community outreach initiatives throughout Burnaby.
- Simon Fraser University Green Labs Program for their contributions to environmental sustainability and reducing the energy footprint of campus science buildings.
- Tomas Lang, student at Ecole Alpha Secondary School, for developing the Green Events Program at his school.
- 2011-12 and 2012-13 Grade 3 classes at John Knox Christian School for their development of an in-class food scraps recycling system for their school and participation in a pilot electronic toy recycling program, initiatives undertaken with the assistance of their teacher, Ms. Yvonne DeWith.
- Jacqueline Shen, student at Burnaby South Secondary School, for her notable achievements with many environmental organizations.