COVID-19 Impacts in Burnaby

  • View updates on impacts to Burnaby programs, services and facilities 
  • To report a business that is not in compliance with current provincial health orders, please email
  • Questions on how COVID-19 impacts Burnaby programs, services and facilities?
    Read our Frequently Asked Questions, phone our call centre at 604-294-7878, 9am-4pm, Monday-Friday (closed statutory holidays), or email
 > Home > City Services > Building > Permit Processing > Commercial / Multifamily / Industrial

City Services

Was this page helpful? Yes | No

Commercial / Multifamily / Industrial

All new buildings, additions, and tenant improvement will require a permit from the Burnaby Building Department.  

Building Permits and Inspections is a helpful brochure for those beginning a new project -- it walks you through the steps of permit processing and directs you to the general building applications you will need to submit. 

For further questions and information, you can consult the complete list of brochures and downloadable application forms featured to the right of this page. This index contains information you’ll need to move ahead with a variety of projects.

At any time, we encourage you to Contact the Building Department with your questions. We will be happy to speak with you and direct you to the necessary documents.

Permit Processing

Permits for Your Business 

If you are a business owner starting a new business, you’ll want to make sure that your building complies with all City Bylaws. You will also want to ensure you have the necessary permits and licences to operate in Burnaby.  Our brochure on New Businesses is a good place to start. Information on Food Service Establishments has also been compiled for business owners. 

For information, look through our index of brochures and applications shown as a link on the right side of this page. Please contact us with any questions. 

A complete list of Burnaby Permits and Burnaby Licences can be accessed and downloaded from our site. You can apply for a Home-Based Business or Business Licence using the information from these pages.