COVID-19 Impacts in Burnaby

  • View updates on impacts to Burnaby programs, services and facilities 
  • To report a business that is not in compliance with current provincial health orders, please email
  • Questions on how COVID-19 impacts Burnaby programs, services and facilities?
    Read our Frequently Asked Questions, phone our call centre at 604-294-7878, 9am-4pm, Monday-Friday (closed statutory holidays), or email
 > Home > City Services > Bylaws, Violations & Enforcement > Adjudication Process

City Services

Was this page helpful? Yes | No

Adjudication Process

For Burnaby Violation Notices:  The City of Burnaby’s Bylaw Dispute Adjudication System manages Notices of Bylaw Violation in Burnaby. This is Bylaw No. 12657, the Bylaw Notice Enforcement Bylaw, under the Local Government Bylaw Notice Enforcement Act - [SBC 2003] Chapter 60.

These Bylaws and our Manager's Report from June 30 2008 will provide you with in-depth information on Adjudication.

What is Adjudication?

The Adjudication system allows the City to manage bylaw disputes locally rather than through the Provincial Court system. Violation notices can be disputed out of court with a private adjudicator appointed by the Provincial Attorney General Office.

Violation Notice Process at a Glance

Why is Adjudication used?

  • Simplifies dispute process
  • Removes minor bylaw violations from the Provincial court system
  • Reduces ticket dispute time
  • Reduces need to employ lawyers or enforcement officers to take a case to court
  • More convenient since attendance at an adjudication hearing is not mandatory
  • More cost effective and efficient system
  • Helps ensure bylaw compliance 
  • Bylaws

    Burnaby BylawsMoreView all current and enforceable City Bylaws online.
  • Pay A Ticket

    parking meterMorePay your parking ticket or bylaw violation notice online.