For Burnaby Violation Notices: The City of Burnaby’s Bylaw Dispute Adjudication System manages Notices of Bylaw Violation in Burnaby. This is Bylaw No. 12657, the Bylaw Notice Enforcement Bylaw, under the Local Government Bylaw Notice Enforcement Act - [SBC 2003] Chapter 60.
These Bylaws and our Manager's Report from June 30 2008 will provide you with in-depth information on Adjudication.
What is Adjudication?
The Adjudication system allows the City to manage bylaw disputes locally rather than through the Provincial Court system. Violation notices can be disputed out of court with a private adjudicator appointed by the Provincial Attorney General Office.
Why is Adjudication used?
- Simplifies dispute process
- Removes minor bylaw violations from the Provincial court system
- Reduces ticket dispute time
- Reduces need to employ lawyers or enforcement officers to take a case to court
- More convenient since attendance at an adjudication hearing is not mandatory
- More cost effective and efficient system
- Helps ensure bylaw compliance