Holiday Waste Reduction
(Images provided by Metro Vancouver)
Create Memories, Not Garbage.
- Holiday Residential Recycling Checklist
- Too Many Recyclables?
- Christmas Tree Recycling
- Holiday Reminders
- More Resources
- Need Help?
Making a list, and checking it twice!
Check the list, and check it twice; it will tell you what is naughty or nice for your household recycling. We've expanded residential recycling, check out our full list of acceptable materials. Don't forget to recycle all your food scraps in your Green Bin!
- Wrapping paper without any metallic or plastic pieces
- Paper gift tags/boxes
- Paper greeting cards (remove electronic components of musical cards)
- Cardboard boxes flattened
- Metal cookie/sweet containers
- Rigid plastic packaging - no numbers required!
- Tissue paper or crinkle wrap
- Styrofoam, plastic overwrap - drop it off!
- Wrapping paper with metallic or plastic pieces
- Ornaments of any kind
- Light bulbs or light strings - take them back!
Extra recyclables can be dropped off to Burnaby's Eco-Centre (4855 Still Creek Drive, west of Douglas Road). The City's Eco-Centre accepts more than what you can place out in your household recycling, see our full list!. Please ensure all materials are clean and free of contaminants. Contact the Recycling Council of BC 604-RECYCLE (732-9253) for recycling options for old Christmas light strings, electronics, small appliances and much more!
Please note that the Burnaby Eco-Centre will be closed on the following days: Sunday, December 25 and Monday, December 26, 2016 and Sunday, January 1, 2017.
Tree Recycling Guidelines
- Remove all ornaments, tinsel and lights
- Do not bag or put your tree in your Green Bin
- Trees over 5' (feet) must be cut in half
- No artificial trees are accepted
- Trees sprayed with snow foam cannot be recycled
Curbside Tree Collection
Residential Christmas tree collection will take place from January 16 to 27, 2017. Please place your tree out for collection on January 16 and it will be collected during these two weeks.
Multi-family complexes that have Burnaby garbage/recycling collection service will have Christmas trees collected the week of January 9, 2017. All trees must be placed out by Monday, January 9 in one accessible location. Trees will be collected during this week.
- Burnaby's Eco-Centre accepts Christmas trees free of charge from Burnaby residents (proof of residency required).
- The Eco-Centre will be closed on the following days: Sunday, December 25 and Monday, December 26, 2016 and Sunday, January 1, 2017.
Charity Tree Chipping Events
For Christmas Tree Charity Chipping Events, contact the Recycling Council of BC Recycling Hotline at 604-RECYCLE (732-9253).
- Burnaby's Eco-Centre will be closed on Sunday, December 25 and Monday, December 26, 2016 and Sunday, January 1, 2017.
- Curbside collection for garbage, green bins and recycling moves ahead after a statutory holiday.
- Check out Metro Vancouver's website for more Holiday Waste Reduction resources and tips.
- Check out the Recycling Council of BC for ways to reduce, reuse and recycle this Holiday Season.
|Recycling, Garbage & Green Bin
Staffed Information Line:
Monday-Friday 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM
|24-Hour Touch-tone Information Line:||604-294-7089|
|BC Recycling Hotline:||604-RECYCLE (732-9253)|