> Home > City Services > Planning > Housing > Tenant Assistance

City Services

Was this page helpful? Yes | No

Tenant Assistance

Burnaby advocates for greater assistance to tenants who must relocate due to redevelopment.

When redevelopment of a property with six or more units is proposed through the rezoning process, Burnaby requires the property owner to submit a Tenant Assistance Plan that exceeds the minimum requirements of the provincial Residential Tenancy Act. The Tenant Assistance Plan must provide at least four months’ notice and three months’ compensation to all affected tenants, as well as support in finding new accommodation and other assistance.

In addition, Burnaby leads municipal advocacy efforts to strengthen provincial tenant assistance provisions. These efforts are reflected in recent amendments to the Residential Tenancy Act.

View Burnaby’s Tenant Assistance Policy »

Resources for Tenants