City Services

Was this page helpful? Yes | No

Land Development

Your application to develop land is reviewed in the context of the City's Environmental Policies & Regulations. Land Development Applications are reviewed from an ecological point of view to:

  1. Protect the health and improve the quality of the environment
  2. Ensure compliance with municipal standards, codes, by-laws, and applicable Provincial and Federal Regulations and Acts for the following development applications: Rezoning, Subdivision/Consolidation, Strata Title, Preliminary Plan Approval, Building Plan, Liquor Licence Application, and the Contaminated Sites Process (under Environmental Management Act)

Submitting Your Application

Development applications, including those for Rezoning, Subdivision and Preliminary Plan Approval (PPA) are coordinated by the Planning Department.

Applications for development of single and two family homes (with no associated Rezoning, Subdivision or Preliminary Plan Approval) are submitted to the Building Department.

These developments are subject to policies and regulations for Community Development and Ecosystem Protection, including the protection of environmentally sensitive areas and setbacks from waterways.

Development Submissions are administered through the Environmental Services Division of Burnaby Engineering. Contact us at the Engineering General Enquiries Line

Additional Requirements for Your Review

Your land development must also be compliant with the following requirements for:

Contaminated Sites Process

Environmental Services liaises with the B.C. Ministry of Environment for contaminated sites assessments. For more information on Site Profiles please read:

Erosion and Sediment Control

The City has implemented policies to prevent silt-laden runoff in construction sites from entering the downstream drainage system and ending up in creeks and lakes.

It is a mandatory requirement that all construction projects within the City implement Erosion and Sediment Control (ESC) measures. These measures must remain in place until 95% of the construction work is completed. 

Solid Waste and Recycling

Multi-family residential, commercial, industrial and institutional complexes are required to meet our Solid Waste and Recycling Requirements

  • Engineering Permits

    Public Works - WaterMoreFind out who to contact and how to get a permit.
  • Green Initiatives

    MoreClean, sustainable practices that keep our environment strong.
  • Sediment Control Measures

    Sediment Control MeasuresMoreLearn sediment control measures for residential construction sites.