Hot Weather in Store for Southwestern BC

Posted July 13, 2018

While hot and sunny conditions are welcomed news for most, Environment and Climate Change Canada and Medical Health Officers are reminding residents to take precautions to protect themselves from the heat. Keep cool by:

  • Spending time in an air-conditioned facility (such as a shopping centre, library, community centre or restaurant) for at least several hours every day.
  • Dress for the weather by wearing loose, light-weight clothing. Protect yourself from the sun by wearing a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses.
  • Avoid sunburn, stay in the shade or use sunscreen with SPF 30 or more
  • NEVER leave children or pets alone in a parked car.
  • Check in on others - People living alone are at high risk of severe heat related illness.  

City Services

Was this page helpful? Yes | No

Tax Deferments

Are you over the age of 55?

If you are 55 or over, a widow or widower, or handicapped as defined in the eligibility criteria and residing in your home, you may apply to have your taxes deferred. This allows you to defer payment of the current taxes on your home until the property is sold or otherwise disposed of.

Are you a family with children?

The Property Tax Deferment Program for Families with Children is a loan program that allows you to defer your annual property taxes on your home if you meet certain eligibility criteria.

To apply for any of the above deferment programs, you can pick up the application forms from Burnaby Tax Office or print from the Service BC Centre website.

Apply for a Tax Deferment

Owners who are on the deferment program must apply each year. To avoid penalties, tax deferment applications and completed grant applications must be received by the Burnaby Tax Office by the July tax due date.

You may defer all or a portion of the unpaid current year residential (Class 01) or residential & farm (Class 01 & 09) taxes after deduction of the Home Owner Grant.

New and renewal applications received at the Burnaby Tax Office are being forwarded to the Province of BC Deferment office for approval.  You will be contacted by the Deferment office to advise if your application or renewal is accepted or denied.

All applications, including renewals must be submitted to:

Tax Office
City of Burnaby
4949 Canada Way
Burnaby, BC  V5G 1M2 | Map
Phone: 604-294-7350

For more information on tax deferment programs, you can contact:


Tax Deferment

Tax Deferring Instructions

Utility Charges and Garbage Disposal Fees - Instructions to property owners who want to defer tax payments: 

  1. You only have to pay flat water and sewer use charges.  These charges cannot be deferred.
  2. If submitting stub portion with the payment, please write: "Taxes to be deferred" 

Property Tax Notices - Instructions to property owners who are already registered for tax deferments: 

  1. Complete and return the following forms to the City of Burnaby Tax Office by the Property Tax due date
  2. Complete Home Owner Grant application
  3. Complete Renewal application for Property Tax Deferment
  4. Pay unpaid utilities for flat water and sewer use charges

(1) Home Owner Grant Application:

Complete the Home Owner Grant application in full, including your date of birth if you are age 65 or over.

(2) Renewal Application for Property Tax Deferment:

This form was sent to you by the Tax Deferment office in Victoria. Complete the section marked "AGREEMENT HOLDER SIGNATURE" – Line is marked with an "X" (signature, phone number, and date).

(3) Outstanding Utility Charges:

You only have to pay flat water and sewer use charges.  These charges cannot be deferred.

If you repaid Victoria for all previous years' deferred taxes, you need to reapply. If you require further information, please contact the Tax Office at 604-294-7350.

Apply Early - Avoid The Rush - Pay By Due Date - Avoid Penalties