Hot Weather in Store for Southwestern BC

Posted July 13, 2018

While hot and sunny conditions are welcomed news for most, Environment and Climate Change Canada and Medical Health Officers are reminding residents to take precautions to protect themselves from the heat. Keep cool by:

  • Spending time in an air-conditioned facility (such as a shopping centre, library, community centre or restaurant) for at least several hours every day.
  • Dress for the weather by wearing loose, light-weight clothing. Protect yourself from the sun by wearing a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses.
  • Avoid sunburn, stay in the shade or use sunscreen with SPF 30 or more
  • NEVER leave children or pets alone in a parked car.
  • Check in on others - People living alone are at high risk of severe heat related illness.  
 > Home > City Services > Roads & Traffic > Requests > Lane Closure

City Services

Was this page helpful? Yes | No

Lane Closure

For work on roadways, the City’s Engineering Department must grant approval before any travel lane can be closed. All roadwork must adhere to Provincial Regulations and follow the BC Ministry of Transportation's Traffic Control Manual for Work on Roadways


When considering applications, we try to balance the need for mobility and safety with that of the required work. In general, lane closures are restricted to between 9:00 AM and 3:00 PM Monday to Friday to avoid rush hours, and 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM on Saturdays. Any roadwork conducted at night or on Sundays also requires a noise variance approval which can be obtained through the Environmental Services Division.

Major Projects

Lengthy or major closures require a detailed traffic management plan. This must describe traffic control, public notification procedures and a traffic incident management plan, alongside contact names and numbers of site managers.

The use of road plates to cover excavations and restore travel lanes is only permitted where construction necessitates their use and with written assurance by a Professional Engineer regarding its safe installation.

Garbage bins or site trailers are not permitted on the roadway. If bins, trailers, construction fencing, covered walkways or building materials need to be placed on City boulevards, an application for a Hoarding Permit must be submitted to the Engineering Department Design Section. 


Bicycles can often be accommodated within a work zone even when cars must be detoured because they require less space than cars. Where there is a closure of a dedicated bicycle lane, an alternative lane should be provided whenever possible. If this is not possible “Share The Road” signs should be installed or a bicycle detour route provided.

Submitting Your Request

You can apply online or you can download and print your Lane Closure Request Form.

Lane closure requests must be submitted five working days in advance. This provides staff time to review the application, amend/revise the traffic control plan, and advise Emergency Services, Bylaw Enforcement, Coast Mountain Bus Company and Translink (for regional notification) of potential delays where required.

Requests can be submitted in person during office hours, 8:00 AM to 4:45 PM Monday to Friday at the City’s Engineering Department, faxed to 604-294-7425, or e-mailed to the Engineering Department at  For more information please call Engineering General Enquiries at 604-294-7460.


Liability insurance in the minimum amount of $5 million dollars is required before a lane closure request can be approved:

  • The City of Burnaby must be named as a co-insured
  • The policy must include a 30 day cancellation notice and a cross liability clause
  • A photocopy of the insurance must accompany the completed copy of the Lane Closure Request Form.

Additional Fees

Payment is required for parking meters that are taken out of operation due to any lane closure.  Please contact the Parking Services Supervisor at 604-570-3612 for arrangements and estimates.

For any lane closure that impacts parking meters - Closure/Hooding of a Metered Space -- there is a fee required to compensate for hooding the meters and lost revenue. Click to find out more.

  • Lane Closure Online Request Form

    Roads - Maintenance 1MoreApply for your Lane Closure using our online form.
  • Lane Closure for Special Events

    Santa Clause ParadeMoreFind out about closing lanes for an event.
  • Engineering Permits

    Public Works - WaterMoreFind out who to contact and how to get a permit.