COVID-19 in Burnaby

For COVID-19 information, resources and impacts on City services, visit

 > Home > City Services > Roads & Traffic > Requests > Requesting a Temporary Construction Zone

City Services

Was this page helpful? Yes | No

Requesting a Temporary Construction Zone

If you are building a home or building and need street space, please read below and contact Parking Services at, or call 604-297-4913. The City of Burnaby restricts the use of its streets for construction storage and construction parking.

What are the insurance requirements?

Liability insurance in the minimum amount of $2 million.

What are the requirements for a Temporary POD-Container?

Construction bins or site trailers which have been approved for placement on City streets must also adhere to the following conditions:

  • Display the Company name and contact number in lettering not less than 7.5 centimetres high 
  • Be made as visible as possibly using reflective tape or delineators meeting the following standards:
    • Each side must have equally spaced 5 centimetre horizontal strips placed 75 centimetres from the ground covering 50% of the side
    • Each end must have two vertical lines of equally spaced strips running 1.0 metre high and one solid line of tape horizontally placed 75 centimetres from the ground
  • Not be placed within 15.0 metres of a crosswalk, or within 6.0 metres from any lane or driveway
  • Only be placed in legal parking areas, no travel lanes, bus stops or fire zones can be considered. If parking signs need to be amended the cost shall be born by the applicant

    For more information on requesting a construction bins or site trailers, read through our Temporary POD-Containers page.

    Note: The City reserves the right to access the roadway for any reason, and cancel the occupancy if it feels there is a hazard or nuisance to the public. Payment does not guarantee uninterrupted occupancy. Applications for extensions can be made, but the processing fee will be reapplied.


    • Need A Metered Space?

      parking meterMoreClose a metered space for construction and events.
    • POD/Container Placement

      dumpsterMoreRequest a POD/Container for your project.