> Home > City Services > Roads & Traffic > Requests > Special Events

City Services

Was this page helpful? Yes | No

Special Events

Special events are short-term functions (usually a few hours to a couple of days) that require traffic control such as parking restrictions or temporary road closures.

Block Parties

Road closures for block parties must comply with the following: 

  • A written request must be submitted to the Engineering Department
  • Must be in accordance with the Street & Traffic Bylaw
  • Barricades are provided by City crews, and must be set up by the promoters and remain in place and manned at all times
  • The City will not be responsible for any loss or damage to any property or injury to any persons which may occur upon the street
  • First time applicants must submit a petition from affected residents with 75% in support of the road closure

The City requires no fees or insurance.


Festival Burnaby Grant Program (Neighbourhood Events, Small Scale Events & Large Scale Events) is coordinated through the Executive Committee of Council. Contact them at 604-294-7290.

Hats Off Day


TV or movie Filming is coordinated through the Film Office located at the Shadbolt Centre of the Arts, 6450 Deer Lake Avenue, 604-294-7314. The Traffic Section looks after installation of temporary traffic control and parking restriction signs.


Parade organizers must submit a written request describing the road location, type of event and activities, the date and time needed for the road closure, along with a contact name and phone number.

Santa Clause Parade

Conditions for Parade Approval

Organizers should be aware that permission is subject to Council approval and must comply with the following conditions:

  • The parade must be conducted under the supervision of one person as Marshall or organizer
  • All participants must be instructed to respect the rights and property of individuals encountered en route
  • The parade must be covered with liability insurance in the minimum amount of $2 million with the City of Burnaby named as co-insured, include name of event and date, and the policy must include a 30 day cancellation notice and a cross liability clause
  • A signed copy of the “City of Burnaby Permit for Short Term Use And Occupancy Of City Lands” must be received no later than one week prior to the event
  • The organizer is responsible for obtaining an approved traffic control plan and arranging for barricade volunteers for all barricade locations except where the RCMP Burnaby Detachment will be present
  • The organizers must provide a letter two weeks in advance of the road closure to all affected businesses and residents and advertise the closure in the local newspapers and radio stations.  

Walk, Run and Cycle Events

For Fun Runs, walks, and cycling events that use city streets, sidewalks and boulevards, a written request must be submitted to this department.  This request must describe the event, time and date, location and number of people expected.

Any event utilizing Parks property must contact the Parks Department at 604-294-7450.

Giro di Burnaby

Insurance Requirements:

  • Event must be covered with liability insurance in the minimum amount of $2 million
  • City of Burnaby named as co-insured
  • Policy must include name of event and date
  • Policy must include a 30 day cancellation notice and a cross liability clause
  • Traffic Control Permit Online Request Form

    Roads - Maintenance 1MoreApply for your permit online! (previously Lane Closure requests)
  • Need A Metered Space?

    parking meterMoreClose a metered space for construction and events.