Temporary POD - Container Placement
For POD-containers to be placed on-street:
- A written request must be submitted to the Engineering/Traffic Department.
- Request must be submitted at least five working days in advance of placement.
- The request must include a site plan showing the placement of the bin/trailer and any delineators needed to ensure safety.
- Approval of storage on the street is not guaranteed until the location is inspected by the City.
Whenever possible, containers/pods should be placed on private property. Please note that pods being used for moving purposes are typically only approved for a maximum of 5 days of storage on the street. Extensions are granted only when circumstances require it.
Placement of containers/pods without approval by the City of Burnaby may result in fines and/or removal of the containers/pods at the owner's expense.
What are the fees?
Charges for containers/pods are $15.00 per day as well as a one time processing fee charge of $100.00. For containers/pods on the street for less than 5 days, fees and insurance may be waived but a written request and site plan must still be submitted in advance detailing location and dates of placement.
To submit a request, or make an inquiry, please email Parking Services at email@example.com, or call 604-297-4913.
What are the insurance requirements?
Liability insurance in the minimum amount of $2 million.
- The City of Burnaby must be named as co-insured.
- The policy must include a 30 day cancellation notice and cross liability clause.
- The policy must include a statement referring to the location and dates of placement.
- A copy of the original insurance certificate must be received by the City at least 5 working days prior to placement.
Construction bins or site trailers which have been approved for placement on City streets must also adhere to the following conditions:
- Display Company name and contact number in lettering not less than 7.5 centimetres high.
- Be made as visible as possible using reflective tape or delineators meeting the following standards:
- Each side must have equally spaced 5 centimetre horizontal strips placed 75 centimetres from the ground covering 50% of the side.
- Each end must have two vertical lines of equally spaced strips running 1.0 metre high and one solid line of tape horizontally placed 75 centimetres from the ground.
- Not be placed within 15.0 metres of a crosswalk, or within 6.0 metres from any lane or driveway.
- Only be placed in legal parking areas. No travel lanes, bus stops or fire zones can be considered. If parking signs need to be amended the cost shall be borne by the applicant.
Note: The City reserves the right to access the roadway for any reason, and cancel the occupancy if it feels there is a hazard or nuisance to the public. Payment does not guarantee uninterrupted occupancy. Applications for extensions can be made but the processing fee will be reapplied.