Vehicles which exceed 13,600 kilograms (30,000 pounds) gross vehicle weight are restricted to designated roads described on the Burnaby Truck Route Map. No person shall operate or park a truck off these roads, and no overnight parking is allowed on any street by vehicles exceeding 3,600 kg (8,000 lbs) GVW.
Trucks accessing sites off designated roads must use the shortest possible route from the site to the nearest truck route.
Oversize Load Permits
Vehicles exceeding 20 metres in length, or 2.6 metres in width, require an oversize load permit. Permits may be obtained, in person, at the main Engineering desk at City Hall. Cost is $5.00 for single trip permits, or $35.00 for an annual permit. Permits are not transferable between vehicles and must describe the load dimensions, travel route and time of move.
The table below outlines conditions under which oversize loads must operate on Burnaby streets.
|Under 2.6m||2.6 - 3.1m||3.1 -3.7m||Over 3.7m|
|20 to 22m||(0)||(0)||(1)||(2)|
|22 to 24.5m||(0)||(0)||(1)||(2)|
|24.5 to 30m||(1)||(1)||(2)||(2)|
(0) - Term permit issued, no notification required
(1) - Term permit issued, notification required
(2) - No term permit issued.
- Number in brackets specifies the minimum number of pilot cars required
- Maximum height for term permit is 4.55 metres
- When height exceeds 4.55 metres, approval from BC Hydro and BC Tel is required before a permit can be issued
- When notification is required, the permit holder must apply to the City Engineer for approval of each trip
- Moves must be conducted outside of rush hours (7:00 - 9:00 AM & 3:00 - 6:00 PM Monday to Friday)
- For Provincial Highways, permission must be obtained from the Ministry of Transportation at 604-660-8300