Water Conservation Tools
With our climate and accessible resources, it's easy to take water for granted. The City encourages residents to use water sustainably to protect our water supply, conserve energy, and help reduce personal utility costs.
Tap into Water Conservation
- Purchase an Indoor Water Conservation Kit from the City for $10.
- Use a City Rain Barrel to collect rain water for use in gardens and planters.
- Follow the Lawn Sprinkling Regulations. Healthy lawns only need 25 mm (1 inch) of water per week.
Other Water Conservation Tips
- Watering lawns sparingly or not at all saves up to 17,000 litres per household over the summer months
- Spring-loaded garden hose nozzles save 23 litres per minute
- Full loads and shorter cycles in the laundry room save 95 litres per load
- Low-flow toilets save six to 14 litres per flush
- Toilet inserts save up to 100 litres per day
- Aerator and flow restrictors on the kitchen tap save up to 20 litres per day
- Fixed leaks in kitchen and bathroom taps save 47 litres per day
Indoor Water Saver Kit
This kit can help you retrofit your kitchen and bathroom to help reduce water use by 15 to 20 percent. Kits are available at Burnaby City Hall, 4949 Canada Way, 4th Floor Engineering.
Price: $10.00 each (includes tax)
Limit: 1 indoor water saver kit per household
Each Indoor Water Saver Kit includes:
City of Burnaby Rain Barrel
Rain barrels are a great way for green-thumbed residents to keep their gardens fresh and watered. With lawn sprinkling regulations in effect from June 1 to September 30, rain barrels are an affordable gardening solution.
Rain barrel water keeps your plants healthier because the water is unchlorinated and oxygen-rich. Each barrel holds up to 341 litres of water and can help you save on bills and water consumption.
Residents can purchase rain barrels at the City's Eco-Centre, specially priced at $70.00 (includes tax). As quantities are limited, purchase is limited to one barrel per household with cash or debit only.
For further information, please contact the City's Recycling Line at 604-294-7972.
Additional ResourcesMetro Vancouver
Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation
Recycling Council of BC Hotline