Legal and Lands
Who We Are
The Legal and Lands Department is responsible for providing legal services to City council and other City departments on matters affecting the City. Legal and Lands is also responsible for land appraisal, negotiation and acquisition services on behalf of the City.
What We Do
We prepare and coordinate registrations of legal documentation at the Land Title and Survey Authority of B.C. for subdivisions, rezoning, conveyances and other land transactions with City Departments. Other responsibilities include:
- Providing legal advice to City Council and other City departments on matters affecting the City.
- Negotiating and drafting contracts involving the City.
- Managing legal proceedings involving the City.
- Negotiating and Completing land transactions involving the City.
- Preparing Bid Packages for the sale of houses, single family and multi-family land by public tender.
Accredited appraisers provide advice to other City Departments in the form of::
- Market valuations, advisory and negotiation for the acquisition of land and/or interests in land. An example would be statutory rights of way for the City. This service may relate to the sale of City land or the provision of a statutory right of way over City land.
- Valuation of interests in land granted to the City through the rezoning process for internal asset management purposes.
- Negotiation of density bonus values.
- Feasibility studies and market analysis.
- Advice and guidance related to land policy.
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 8:00 am to 4:45 pm
Thursday from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm
Legal and Lands Department
4949 Canada Way
Burnaby, BC, V5G 1M2 | Map