Office of the City Clerk
Who We Are
The Office of the City Clerk is a team of staff committed to guiding and facilitating the efficient and effective delivery of administrative, legislative and support services for Council, Council Committees, the City and Public. The department acts as a link between Council and City Departments, as well as the general public, by providing assistance and advice with respect to Council and Committee processes, reporting procedures and decisions rendered.
What We Do
The Office of the City Clerk carries out the statutory responsibilities of the Corporate Officer as legislated under the Community Charter, as well as any other duties assigned to the department. Some of these powers, duties and functions include:
- Ensures accurate minutes of Council meetings and Committee meetings are prepared and minutes, bylaws and other records of the business of Council and Council Committees are maintained and kept safe.
- Ensures access is provided to records of Council and Council Committees.
- Administers oaths and take affirmations, affidavits and declarations required to be taken under the Community Charter.
- Certifes copies of bylaws and other documents.
- Accepts notices and documents, on behalf of Council or the City, which are required or permitted to be given to, served on, filed with or otherwise provided to Council or the City.
- Acts as keeper of the corporate seal and affix to documents as required.
Once every three years the department conducts the local government election, manages 35 voting divisions and 17 special voting opportunities city-wide and ensures the newly elected Council is sworn-in to undertake its civic duty.
Staff organizes numerous Council functions and special events.
The Office of the City Clerk is responsible for:
- Council Meetings
- Public Hearings
- Boards, Committees and Commissions
- Board of Variance
- Municipal Election
- Petition Process
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
- Kushiro Cup
- Plaza Paver Ceremony