Who We Are
The Building Department maintains the quality of life for Burnaby's citizens by ensuring compliance with established safety codes and enforcing the City's construction related bylaws.
What We Do
Permit Processing, Front Counter and Records
- Processes and issues building, electrical, plumbing, gas, sprinkler, heating, demolition, sign and tree cutting permits.
- Provides front counter reception, prepare comfort letters, accept inspection requests, maintain records and microfilm files.
- Reviews and issues building permits for all types of construction.
- Processes referrals to the Board of Variance for proposed construction of single and two family dwellings which do not comply with the Zoning Bylaw.
- Inspects all types of construction in accordance with the BC Building Code and the applicable Building, Zoning and Sign Bylaws.
- Conducts license referral inspections.
- Inspects all types of electrical installations, including high voltage unit substations, fire alarm wiring, security alarms, illuminated signs, street lighting, low voltage and data cabling.
Plumbing and Gas Inspections
- Enforces the BC Plumbing Code, the Burnaby Plumbing Bylaw, the Provincial Gas Safety Act, the Burnaby Gas Bylaw, the Residential Hot Water Heating Association Guidelines for the Design and Installation of Hot Water Heating Systems as well as the Pacific Northwest Section of the A.W.W.A. Cross Connection Control Manual.
- Inspects every stage of wiring from rough-in to final for compliance with the applicable codes, regulations and City Bylaws.
- Inspects sewers, drain-tile, foundation damp-proofing, gas vents, gas piping, plumbing piping, plumbing fixtures, gas appliances and residential hot water heating systems.
- Inspects buildings reported with unsafe gas or plumbing conditions.
- Manages a Cross Connection Program to safeguard against the possibility of contaminants entering the community's potable water systems. Cross-connection control devices are installed, maintained and tested annually.
- Receives and processes complaints and coordinates bylaw enforcement activities.
- Manages the administration of the Sign and Tree Bylaws.
- Coordinating the design and construction and contract administration of major civic buildings and related projects.
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 8:00 am to 4:45 pm
Thursday from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm