COVID-19 in Burnaby

For COVID-19 information, resources and impacts on City services, visit

 > Home > Our City Hall > Election Information > Voter Information > Non-Resident Property Elector

Our City Hall

Was this page helpful? Yes | No

Non-Resident Property Elector

If you own property in Burnaby, but do not live in the City, you may be eligible to vote in the 2021 by-election. 

You may register to vote in advance at the City Election Office by May 4 (by appointment), or you can also register when you vote. You must re-register each election, as you will not be included on the Voters List (only resident electors).

It is recommended that non-resident property electors confirm with the City’s Election Office that they have the correct documentation to register prior to visiting a voting location.

Persons wishing to register as non-resident property elector must meet the following criteria:

  • Are a Canadian citizen 
  • Are 18 years of age or older on voting day
  • Have been a resident of British Columbia for at least 6 months prior to voting day
  • Have been a registered owner of real property in Burnaby for at least 30 days prior to voting day
  • Are not disqualified from voting by any statute or law
  • Are not holding the property in trust for a corporation or another trust
  • Are not eligible to vote as a resident elector in the City of Burnaby
  • Registered in relation to one piece of property
    • If more than one person owns the property, only one owner may vote. A form for obtaining consent from the majority of property owners must be completed to designate the owner entitled to vote

Persons wishing to register as non-resident property elector must bring the following documentation:

  • Application for Registration as a Non-Resident Property Elector – remember to have your signature on the form witnessed by another individual, who will also sign and provide their residential address;
  • Consent of Registered Owners for Non-Resident Property Elector Registration – only one registered owner per property is permitted to vote. If several non-residents own a single piece of property, the owners must select only one of the owners to vote;
  • A photocopy of proof of ownership of the property must be made available (such as property tax notice, assessment notice or certificate of title); and
  • Two pieces of valid identification that prove who you are, one of which must include your signature. 

For further information, please contact the City of Burnaby Election Office at  604-294-7088 or

Election Office

Phone:  604-294-7088

The Burnaby Election Office is a non-partisan office that administers local elections.