Councillor Dan Johnston
Having first been elected to Burnaby City Council in 1993, I have had the pleasure of serving the citizens of Burnaby as a city councillor for more than 20 years. I have enjoyed working with the City and the community to make our city the best it can be. Prior to running for Council, I served on and chaired the Parks Commission, a role I took on because of my interest in enhancing services for youth and basic parks and recreation services.
As a Parks Commissioner, I further developed my longstanding passion for environmental initiatives. I think it’s important that Burnaby remain the green heart of the Lower Mainland. Though we’re always financially prudent, we get things done – introducing innovative environmental initiatives that serve as models for cities and regions in the Lower Mainland and beyond.
As a Burnaby resident since 1961, a homeowner in the Lakeview-Mayview neighbourhood, a Certified General Accountant, and a married father with a son who attended Burnaby schools and now attends Simon Fraser University, I also have a specific interest in finance and youth services.
During my years on council, the environment, technology and finance – supported by my professional training as a CGA – have always been my key areas of focus. I am fortunate to have had many opportunities to work with citizens, City of Burnaby staff and Council to contribute to significant initiatives in all of these areas, including:
- overseeing, as Parks, Recreation and Culture Commission chair, planning and construction of Eileen Dailly Pool, the Shadbolt Centre for the Arts, and Riverway Golf Course.
- introducing Burnaby's Youth Policy, which gives our young people a voice in decisions affecting them.
- introducing the Burnaby Recreation Credit program, which provides better access to recreation services to people who are financially disadvantaged.
- working to make the dredging of Burnaby Lake a reality, ensuring the process was environmentally sustainable and offering new potential recreation opportunities for Burnaby citizens.
- introducing Burnaby's non-smoking bylaw, which better ensures clean air in public places.
- overseeing, as chair of Finance and Civic Development, construction of Fire Hall Number 7, and Tommy Douglas Library. Both quality facilities were finished on time and under budget.
- as Finance liaison, working to ensure Burnaby remains financially strong. Burnaby consistently has one of the lowest tax increases while maintaining a strong financial position. Strong reserves are growing while we construct quality facilities without going to the financial markets to borrow.
As a city councillor, what I enjoy the most is helping people to understand how their municipal government can help them. It’s always gratifying when you can directly help a taxpayer (citizen) to access a service or introduce a new city initiative or project. I look forward to continuing to serve the citizens of Burnaby as we continue to find innovative new ways to keep our city green, active, accessible and financially secure.
As in the past – and as chair of both the Finance and Civic Development and the Environment committees and vice-chair of the Community Development Committee and Environmental Sustainability Strategy Steering Committee – I am focused on the City’s finances, technology and the environment.
We are always looking at ways to make our city more efficient, to maintain our leadership role and to continue to build on our many strengths – keeping our city green, enhancing access to services for all citizens as our population grows and changes demographically, and ensuring that our reserves grow at a sustainable rate for future generations.
- Council liaison, Finance Department
- Council liaison, Corporate Services Department
- Chair, Finance and Civic Development Committee
- Chair, Environment Committee
- Vice Chair, Environmental Sustainability Strategy Steering Committee
- Chair, Audit Committee
- Member, Executive Committee of Council
- Vice-chair, Community Development Committee
- Past-chair and 16-year member of Parks, Recreation and Culture Commission
- Alternate director, Metro Vancouver Board
- Member, Metro Vancouver Water Committee
- Member, Lower Mainland Treaty Advisory Committee
- Founding member, Burnaby Edmonds Lions Club
- Past Grand Knight, Knights of Columbus, Council 8853
- Former board member New Vista Society
- Former board member St Michael's Care Home Society
- Former director, Royal City Burnaby CGA Chapter
- Past treasurer, Seventeenth Centre Lake Cub and Scout Group