Councillor Sav Dhaliwal
I was first elected to Burnaby Council in November 2002 and am proud to now be serving my fifth consecutive term as a Councillor.
Prior to my election as a Councillor, for over 10 years I volunteered for a number of minor sports organizations – including hockey, soccer and baseball. I served as President of the Burnaby Minor Hockey Association and, in recognition of my role, was made a Life Member in 1997.
It was as President of Burnaby Minor Hockey that I first started to take an interest in participating more broadly in our community. I started to look beyond day-to-day operations to consider what we were doing as a community to enhance child participation in sports. First, I worked with the Parks Commission to support the development of Copeland Rink. Once my interest became known at Burnaby City Council, I was approached to consider the possibility of sitting on the Burnaby Parks and Recreation Commission to serve there.
After joining the Commission, I quickly realized that you can’t just have blinkers on – you need to know where your plans fit within overall resource availability and service requirements in the city.
After joining Council, I continued to serve on the commission, which I chaired for six years. Parks and recreation have always been my passions, but I take great interest in all areas of our City’s development and I have particularly embraced the many opportunities I have to serve as a liaison in the multitude of multicultural initiatives Burnaby supports. I am very proud to have participated in the successful advancement of a great variety of City projects and programs. Achievements in which I take particular pride include:
- Serving as founding chair of the Burnaby Sports Hall of Fame Committee and working closely with the City in designing the Bill Copeland Sports Centre.
- Proudly serving our senior citizens while volunteering with the New Vista Society as a director, treasurer and a trustee.
- I am a founding member of the Burnaby Edmonds Lions Club.
- Being recognized by the Government of Canada, University of British Columbia and the Goel Family Charitable Foundation, Fiji Association of British Columbia, Chetna Association of Canada and local Sikh temples for long and outstanding services to the Community.
After a long career in the information technology field, I retired from TELUS in 2005. With my wife, Cheryl, and my son, who is now grown, I have lived in Burnaby for over 35 years. Cheryl and I are now the proud grandparents of four young children.
During the years I have served on Council, the importance of recognizing the larger context in which our City’s planning and development takes place has become increasingly clear to me. To be successful in all of our City’s undertakings, we need to provide input and feedback on issues that affect us at all levels.
For this reason, I have welcomed the opportunity to represent Burnaby at the provincial level as the President of the Lower Mainland Local Government Association (now past-President), at the Union of British Columbia Municipalities (UBCM), and at the Federation of Canadian Municipalities.
I also continue to focus on being an effective liaison for the development of multicultural aspects of our city, working with Council, and the entire community to bring together the many cultures that create Burnaby’s rich, multicultural fabric.
Memberships and Community Links
- Past-chair, Burnaby Parks, Recreation and Culture Commission
- Chair, Executive Committee of Council
- Vice-chair, Transportation Committee
- Member, Environmental Sustainability Strategy Steering Committee
- Member, Simon Fraser Liaison Committee
- Director, Metro Vancouver Board
- Metro Vancouver Regional Culture Committee
- Metro Vancouver Regional Parks Committee
- Past-president, Lower Mainland Local Government Association
- Past-president, Union of British Columbia Municipalities
- UBCM, BC Local Government RCMP Contract Management Committee
- UBCM, BC Hydro Energy Conservation and Efficiency Advisory Committee
- Director, Federation of Canadian Municipalities
- Federation of Canadian Municipalities, Chair, Standing Committee on Municipal Finance and Intergovernmental Arrangements
- Federation of Canadian Municipalities, Standing Committee on Municipal Infrastructure and Transportation Policy