Eagles Estate Heritage Garden
Constructed in 1929 on the southeast shore of Deer Lake, the Eagles Estate features a magical 1.6 acre garden designed by pioneering Canadian horticulturalist Frank E. Buck. The property was purchased by the City in 1995 from UBC who had inherited from the Eagles family. It is now recognized as a civic heritage site based on its historic, artistic and cultural significance.
The garden was a retreat and tranquil centrepiece in the lives of original owners Blythe and Violet Eagles. The site has now been restored and features a garden with Japanese maples, dwarf Alberta spruce, rhododendrons and magnolias.