Add outdoor seating or expand into outdoor spaces
If you’re a food and beverage business in Burnaby, you can apply to temporarily add outdoor seating or expand into outdoor spaces until October 31, 2021. The Active Sidewalks, Open Businesses program aims to minimize any negative impact you may face as we all continue to adapt to COVID-19 guidelines.
You may use this space for:
- restaurant seating
- merchant displays (racks, outdoor tables, etc.)
- pick-up/drop-off kiosk or customer queuing and other uses
Apply for a permit
Take advantage of the program by submitting an online application. After we review it, we’ll email you the status of your application and may ask follow-up questions if needed. With our expedited application processing, you could have your temporary outdoor space permit in just a few days.
- Fill out this application form if you’d like to expand onto City property. Please review the guidelines before submitting your application.
- Fill out this application form if you’d like to expand onto private property.
Email your applications to [email protected] along with your site plan showing distances, dimensions and your proposed layout of structures, chairs, tables and other attachments or components in the area.
Things to remember
- You can only expand onto areas in front of or side of your business.
- We may approve a deck if there’s a need to even out a steep incline or combine indoor and outdoor levels. The deck must be wheelchair accessible and can’t exceed 9.3 square metres (100 sq ft).
- You may apply to construct temporary patios of up to 9.3 square metres (100 sq ft).
- Spaces must be open and accessible allowing pedestrians to maintain physical distancing.
If you have a complaint about an existing encroachment, please contact the COVID Action Team by email at [email protected].
Questions and answers
You can leave your fixtures/patio furniture out overnight. If you choose to do so, we recommend you secure them safely to avoid loss or damage. Alternatively, you may find it easier and safer to bring your fixtures/furniture in each night.
The Active Sidewalks, Open Businesses program offers businesses like yours an opportunity to maximize your ability to conduct business as usual while the physical distancing measures are in place. We encourage you to consider any investments in new fixtures/furniture with the knowledge that this permitted use is temporary. We could ask you to remove any additions you may have made with a 7-day notice.