Stage 3 Water Shortage Response Plan In Effect Until Rescinded

Posted July 20, 2015

All forms of lawn sprinkling using treated drinking water are further curtailed. See the At A Glance Guide to know what type of water use is restricted under Metro Vancouver's Water Shortage Response Plan Stage 3 and is enforced by the City of Burnaby. Learn more »

No Smoking in Parks, Trails & Green Spaces | No Charcoal Barbeques in Parks

Due to the dry weather and heat that could result in fire hazards, the City of Burnaby advises all park users that there is NO SMOKING permitted in the Burnaby parks, trails and green spaces.

Charcoal barbeques in City of Burnaby parks and beaches are prohibited. At this time, only propane gas barbeques are permitted. Please check the city’s website for updates on whether all types of barbequing will be banned if conditions worsen. Learn more »

 > Home > City Services > Bylaws, Violations & Enforcement > Animal Control

City Services

[+] Was this page helpful?  Yes | No

Animal Control

Animal Control Services are provided to Burnaby by the British Columbia Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (BCSPCA).

These services include:

  • The investigation of animal abuse, barking dogs and dog bites
  • The rescue of stray animals
  • The adoptions of animals  

The Burnaby SPCA – Community Animal Shelter is located at 3202 Norland Avenue, Burnaby, BC, V5B 3A6. 


  • 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM Monday-Friday
    with viewing and adoption from 12 noon - 5:30 PM
  • 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Saturday-Sunday
    with viewing and adoption from 12 noon - 4:30 PM 
  • Closed all statutory holidays

Phone: 604-291-7201, after-hours emergency 604-879-7343
Fax: 604-299-4416

Animal Control

Contact Us For:

Lost and Found Pets

If you have found a dog with a Burnaby dog licence tag, please contact us at 604-294-7320 to get information about matching this pet with its owner. On weekends and for other found animals, please contact the Burnaby SPCA at 604-291-7201.

If you have lost a pet, please contact the Burnaby SPCA.

Barking Dogs

Reports of barking dogs must be submitted in writing to be accepted by the BCSPCA. These reports must include the following information:

  • Location of barking dog in Burnaby
  • Dates and times of occurrence
  • Your name, address and daytime phone number

New Kitten or Cat?

Burnaby offers a $15.00 rebate when you spay or neuter your kitten or cat. To receive the rebate, bring your cat's spay or neuter certificate to the BCSPCA along with proof of your Burnaby residency. There is a limit of two rebates per household.

If you are unable to get to the Burnaby SPCA in person or if you require additional information, please contact the Licence Office at 604-294-7320 or by e-mail at

Thank you for being a responsible pet owner.

  • Animal Control Bylaw

    Our City HallMoreRead Burnaby's animal control law.

  • Dog Licences

    Dog LicenseMoreDoes your dog have its annual licence?

  • Burnaby Animal Shelter

    Animal shelterMoreThe BC SPCA provides Burnaby's animal shelter.
  • B.C. S.P.C.A.

    BC SPCA MorePrograms and resources for animal lovers in BC.
  • Wildlife Health Program

    WildlifeMoreFound a sick wild animal or bird? Report it to the BC government.

  • Stanley Park Ecology Society

    EcologyMore Learn about urban wildlife and co-existing with coyotes.
  • Kennel Regulation Bylaw

    BylawsMoreRead the City bylaw on kennels and animal hospitals.