Permits & Applications

Apply for your permits

Find all the information you need to apply for your permits below. Can't find what you're looking for? Visit our related links or contact the department directly for assistance.

Need to pay an invoice?

Pay your building, engineering and planning invoices online by credit card on

For all existing industrial, commercial and multi-dwelling buildings.

To propose alternative solutions that will achieve the minimum level of performance required by the building code. 

For liquor licence approvals. 

For property owners wishing to change the address of their property. Please fill out both the application form and agent authorization form and submit with applicable fee.

For the construction of all structures including new buildings, additions, interior finishings and building demolitions.

New! You can now apply for your Residential Building Permits online by logging into My Permits Portal.

Outdoor burning is not permitted in Burnaby without a permit. Permission may be granted by the Fire Chief for a one-time special event fire. 

Additional information:

Fees: $103 (GST Exempt)

Send the completed permit application to [email protected] for processing, or mail directly to the Administration Office (4867 Sperling Avenue, Burnaby, BC  V5E 2S9). 

Cheque payment is preferred; any payment drop-off must be scheduled in advance through the Fire Administration Office.

Referral for operating a home-based child care facility. 

For the removal of any type of building or structure. 

For approval to have all or part of a ditch outside your property enclosed. 

New! You can now apply for your Ditch Enclosure Permit online by logging into My Permits Portal.

If you need assistance with this new process or with your My Permits Portal account, please reach out to the Engineering Department. 

For special events such as concerts, amusement rides and film projects, including filming in a studio or on location.

Anyone who is interested in placing an indoor sign on a property. 

For all outdoor signs, please refer to the Sign Permit

New! You can now apply for your  Electrical Permit - Indoor Sign online by logging into My Permits Portal.

Electrical permits for multi-family, commercial and industrial buildings. 

For electrical contractors holding a valid Burnaby business licence.

New! You can now apply for your Electrical Permit - Single and Two Family Dwelling online by logging into My Permits Portal.

For permission to encroach on City right-of-way or property. 

Erosion and Sediment Control (ESC) Permit applications are made through the City’s Engineering Department and are required to be issued prior to the release of associated construction permits. ESC Permits are commonly associated with but not limited to Engineering Agreements, Building Permits and Soil Deposition/Removal Permits.

Single and two family construction sites do not require an ESC Permit but are required to follow Best Management Practices as outlined in the Sediment Control Measures for Residential Construction Sites guidelines (linked below). 

For more information, please contact Engineering Development Services.

Was this page useful?