Learn how to apply for different types of business licences. Find application forms and fee details.
The Burnaby Licence Office issues licences to commercial businesses and home-based businesses operating in the city. You may even be eligible for an add-on inter-municipal business licence (IMBL) if you're a construction and trades-related business based in Burnaby.
With an IMBL, your business will be able to operate in 5 other municipalities for a single fee without needing any additional non-resident licences.
Types of licences
All businesses in Burnaby require a valid business licence. A business is any commercial or industrial undertaking, including those who provide professional, personal or other services. Non-profits are also required to obtain a licence. New or temporary businesses and those that have changed or opened a new location, or changed ownership, must apply for a new licence to operate in the City.
There are 3 types of business licences.
- have a permanent location in Burnaby
- operate from offices, retail locations, warehouses, manufacturing facilities or homes
- temporarily operating in Burnaby
- building trades contractors or mobile companies with no fixed location in the city
- construction and trades related businesses interested in working in all 5 participating municipalities
Apply for a business license
If you want to operate a business in Burnaby, ensure the location you've chosen complies with the zoning regulations that specify what types of activities are allowed. Call the planning department at 604-294-7400 for more information.
We can't process applications that have active/open permits on a location. Therefore, before you apply, check with the building department at 604-294-7130 to ensure no active permits exist. Else, your application may be denied and you may also lose your $50.00 application fee.
Complete the forms below and send them to the Licence Office.
- Business licence application
- Supplementary declaration form: Submit this form if you're operating out of a fixed commercial location in Burnaby.
- House rental licence application
We'll contact you about your application once we receive and review it.
- All new applications must pay the first-year licence fee and a non-refundable fee of $50.00.
- You must renew your business licence annually. We'll send you a reminder 30 days before the due date.
How to pay
My Property Portal
Welcome to the City of Burnaby's My Property Portal.
- Access your utility fees, property tax, dog and business licence information–anytime, anywhere.
- Sign up for e-billing to receive notices and bills via email.
- View your current and past invoices.
- View your account payment history.
- Check account status to ensure account is up to date and payments are received.
Pay by credit card
Having a My Property Portal profile is the easiest way to check your account balance and make payments. However, if you want to make a credit card payment without creating a profile, visit our direct payment page. A non-refundable 1.75% convenience fee will be added to the total amount for all credit card payments.
Pay via online banking
When paying via online banking, phone banking, ATMs or financial institutions, select Burnaby City Business Licence as a payee and enter your account # (starting with 7XXXXX) found on the front of your invoice.