Short-Term Rentals

Providing opportunity while striking a balance to protect rental housing and neighbourhoods

Anyone who wishes to operate a short-term rental in Burnaby must obtain a business licence.

The licensing system is designed to protect long-term housing stock in our community and minimize disruption to residential neighbourhoods, while providing homeowners with the opportunity to earn extra income by renting their principal residence.

How to obtain a business licence for your short-term rental 

To be eligible to rent a property in Burnaby as a short-term rental, the property must meet the following criteria:

  • Homeowners may only list their principal residence as a short-term rental.
  • Short-term rentals are permitted in strata units, with the written permission of the strata council.
  • Short-term rentals are not permitted in rental units or secondary suites.
  • Up to four unrelated guests, or six people within the same family are permitted to stay in a short-term rental.
  • Homeowners are limited to renting their principal residence as a short-term rental for a maximum of 90 nights per calendar year, of which 28 nights may include the rental of the homeowner’s entire principal residence.

In order to obtain a business licence, operators will have to:

  1. Submit an application form along with mandatory documentation (proof of principal residence, and where applicable a letter of permission from their strata). 
  2. Pay a business licence fee. 
  3. Agree to conform to the short-term rental regulations and all City bylaws

All licences are reviewed on an annual basis. 

For more information on how to safely operate a short-term rental in Burnaby, download our Short Term Rental Operator’s Guidebook.

How to pay

You can pay invoices online with your credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express) or in-person with cash, cheque or debit card. Per the City's Fee Recovery Bylaw 13640, we'll charge a fee of 1.75% on payments made with a credit card.

Pay online


The City takes an active approach to enforcement of short-term rental regulations. Operators may face fines of up to $500 per infraction, with escalating fines for continued non-compliance. 

Fines may be issued for violations including:

  • failure to obtain a valid business licence 
  • operating a short-term rental on property that is not the operator’s principal residence 
  • failure to provide information to guests 
  • failure to attend 
  • failure to maintain records 
  • failure to post fire safety plan

Was this page useful?