Meet your mayor and 8 councillors, people you chose to serve you
Elected for a 4-year term, they are the governing body of our city. Council provides leadership and creates policies for the safety, welfare, health and success of our community.
Mayor Mike Hurley
The mayor is the City’s head and chief executive officer. The mayor performs the duties of a councillor and carries out additional functions, such as:
- Provide leadership to the council by recommending bylaws, resolutions and other measures to ensure peace, order and good governance of the municipality.
- Preside at council meetings and communicate information to the council.
- Provide direction to municipal officers while respecting the implementation of municipal policies, programs and other directions of council.
- Perform other duties like attending and hosting ceremonies, meeting visiting dignitaries and officials and participating in fundraising and local community events.
Every council member has the following responsibilities:
- Consider the well-being and interests of the municipality and its community.
- Contribute to the development and evaluation of the policies and programs of the municipality.
- Participate in council and committee meetings and carry out other duties assigned by the council.
Council decides what the City and you, its citizens, need and make policies that meet those needs. Issues that concern you, such as budget allocation, bylaws, land zoning, infrastructure and others, are debated and discussed at council meetings. After considering an issue or item, a member of the council makes a motion. If a second council member agrees with it, the item moves forward. All the members then vote on it. Once a decision is made, the City staff get to work.
You're an important part of the City's decision-making process and can engage with us by:
- Attending city events, open houses and public meetings.
- Voting in your local government elections to make your voice heard.
- Watching and commenting on council meetings.
- Speaking as a delegation.
- Visiting the city’s website to stay up-to-date.
- Following us on social media to see what we’re up to.
- Volunteering with committees, programs and services.