I moved to Canada in 1996 and have lived in Burnaby with my family ever since. I was first elected to the council in 2014 and have continued working to make Burnaby a strong, vibrant city by improving quality of life and protecting affordability. I was the first immigrant from Mainland China to be elected in Canada when I became a trustee on the Burnaby Board of Education in 2008. I have a passion for community involvement and volunteering. During the pandemic, I led fundraising campaigns for Burnaby Hospital Foundation’s COVID-19 Emergency Response Fund and the Greater Vancouver Food Bank. I also assisted in coordinating contributions of personal protective equipment (PPE) to local hospitals and seniors’ facilities. I enjoy promoting multicultural activities, building harmony and acting as a bridge between Burnaby’s diverse communities. Affordable housing and climate change are some of my top priorities.
I was first elected to City Council in 2014. I am committed to working hard to keep Burnaby a strong, vibrant city by improving our quality of life and protecting affordability.
I am proud of my immigrant roots. I was born in the beautiful city of Suzhou and was raised in Xi’an, the northwest China city known for its rich history and the world-renowned 2,000-year-old Terracotta Warriors.
I moved to Canada in 1996 and have lived in Burnaby with my family for over 20 years. After a career as an accomplished architect in China, I earned an MBA in Canada and became the first immigrant from Mainland China to be elected in Canada when I was elected as a trustee on the Burnaby Board of Education in 2008.
I strongly believe in the importance of the public school system, and as a trustee, I worked very hard to support children to be successful learners in a safe, inclusive and supportive environment. My own two children attended Burnaby public schools, enjoying its many benefits.
I have a passion for community involvement and volunteering. I have led fundraising campaigns for the Burnaby Hospital Foundation (BHF) as Charter President of Rotary Dragon Club (Greater Vancouver) and as the founding member of the Chinese Ambassador Society (CAS) of BHF.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, I have led fundraising campaigns for Burnaby Hospital Foundation’s COVID-19 Emergency Response Fund as well as the Greater Vancouver Food Bank. I have also assisted in coordinating significant contributions of PPE to local hospitals and seniors’ facilities.
I’m proud to have played a role in founding both the Chinese and Philippine cultural festivals at Swangard Stadium, the Burnaby Lake Run, and many other community initiatives and events. I enjoy promoting multicultural activities and acting as a bridge between Burnaby’s diverse communities, building harmony and improving our quality of life.
One of the biggest issues for Burnaby residents is affordable housing. I’m committed to finding collaborative and innovative solutions so that everyone in Burnaby can find a home that fits their needs.
We must move quickly to take action on climate change. Achieving the City of Burnaby’s goal to be carbon neutral by 2050 is one of my top priorities as a Burnaby city councillor.
I strongly believe that in Burnaby, diversity is our strength. That’s why we must continue to create a more equitable society by building stronger ties across our diverse communities. I look forward to continuing to work with Burnaby’s diverse communities to further the causes of inclusion and social justice.
- Chair, International Relations, and Friendship Cities Committee
- Chair, Public Safety Committee
- Vice-chair, Standing Committee on Anti-Racism and Equity - FCM
- Vice-chair, Traffic Safety Committee
- Member, Community Heritage Commission
- Member, Environment Committee
- Member, Executive Committee
- Member, Financial Management Committee
- Member, Mayor’s Task Force on Community Housing
- Member, Planning and Development Committee
- Member, Simon Fraser Liaison Committee
- Member, Social Planning Committee
- Member, Electoral Area A Committee, Metro Vancouver
- Member, Standing Committee on Community Safety and Crime Prevention - FCM
- Member, Standing Committee on Environmental Issues and Sustainable Development - FCM
- Member, Standing Committee on Municipal Infrastructure and Transportation Policy
- National Board Director, Federation of Canadian Municipalities - FCM
- Council Representative (Board Trustee), New Vista Society
- Representative, District Community School Advisory and Coordinating Committee
- Council Representative (Director), Tourism Burnaby
- Charter President, Rotary Dragon Club, Greater Vancouver
- Founding Director, Chinese Ambassador Society of Burnaby Hospital Foundation
- Honorary Chair, Organizing Committee Burnaby Lake Run
- Honorary President, Northwest Benevolent Association
- Founding Director, North America Golf Association
- Vice President, Canadian Chinese Table Tennis Federation
- RBC Top 25 Canadian Immigrants Award (2014)
- B.C. Multicultural Award nominee (2015)
- The Keith and Betty Beedie Leadership in Philanthropy Award (CAS-BHF, 2018)
- The Dr. Kenneth Hill Spirit of Philanthropy Award from Burnaby Hospital Foundation (2019)
- The Paul Harris Fellow medal from Rotary International (2019)
- Bridging Leadership Award - Burnaby Hospital Foundation & Chinese Ambassador Society
- Honorary 4th Dan, Taekwondo Kukkiwon