Access to Information

Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act

The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) promotes the general principles that public body information should be available to the public and personal information respecting individuals held by government should not be improperly disclosed.

Requesting access to information

FIPPA established a process by which an individual may request access to records held by the City of Burnaby. A "record" by definition in the Act includes "books, documents, maps, drawings, photographs, letters, vouchers, papers, and any other thing on which information is recorded or stored by graphic, electronic, mechanical or other means, but does not include a computer program or any other mechanism that produces records". The Act also provides an appeal procedure involving an independent Information and Privacy Commissioner.
The general right of access to records is restricted by certain specified and limited exceptions. For example, an applicant will not get access to someone else's personal information without their permission, or information which would harm third party business interests.

Routinely releasable records from the last 7 years are the responsibility of the originating department. Please contact the department directly to request records. 

Is the information you're looking for held at the City of Burnaby Archives? 

Many records held by the City of Burnaby Archives are available on, including open council meetings, reports and bylaws. 

In-active records, or records that are mostly 7 years or older and no longer routinely in use are the responsibility of the Archives. If you need assistance locating or obtaining copies of these types of records, contact [email protected] or call 604-297-4947. 

2.  Formal requests for personal information

A request for access to recorded or personal information that is not routinely available can be made using a formal process specified in FIPPA. Unlike routine requests, the formal request must be made in writing. The request should provide sufficient detail to assist staff in locating/retrieving the records.

Submit Access to Records Request Form Online 

If there is any reason why you are not able to submit this form online, we would accept your request in writing to Legislative Services, 4949 Canada Way, Burnaby BC V5G 1M2 or via email to [email protected]. To determine if a formal request is required, consult with the departmental staff directly or contact the FOI Administrator. 

3. Fees

The City, in accordance with Section 75 of FIPPA and Burnaby Freedom of Information Bylaw 1995 No. 10183, may charge a fee for certain limited costs of providing applicants with records. If there are costs involved in processing a formal request, the applicant will be provided with a fee estimate before the application is fully processed.

Was this page useful?