I've been serving the city as a councillor since being elected in November 2002. I recognize the larger context in which the city’s planning and development occurs and believe that to be successful, we need to learn from our peers. We should also be prepared to provide input and feedback on issues that affect us at all levels. For this reason, I welcome the opportunity to represent Burnaby regionally, previously as director, now as chair (since 2018) of the Metro Vancouver Regional District. Additionally, I am the president of the Lower Mainland Local Government Association, the president of the Union of British Columbia Municipalities (provincial level), and the Federation of Canadian Municipalities' national director. My wife, Cheryl, and I have lived in Burnaby for many years and are proud grandparents to four young children.
- Volunteered for several minor sports organizations including serving as president of the Burnaby Minor Hockey Association and in recognition of my role, was made a Life Member in 1997
- Volunteered as founding chair of the Burnaby Sports Hall of Fame Committee and worked closely with the City in designing the Bill Copeland Sports Centre
- Served the City’s seniors while volunteering with the New Vista Society as a director, treasurer, and trustee
- Founding member of the Burnaby Edmonds Lions Club
- Recognized for services to the community by the Government of Canada, the University of British Columbia, the Fiji Association of British Columbia, the Goel Family Charitable Foundation and the Chetna Association of Canada.