Our vision: Burnaby is a place where everyone can find a home, afford a home and feel at home
Improving housing affordability and preventing and ending homelessness is one of our top priorities. The HOME: Burnaby’s Housing and Homelessness Strategy is a comprehensive, action-oriented roadmap that will help us address these pressing challenges. It details specific initiatives and actions we will take over the next 10 years to improve housing opportunities for our community.
The strategy focuses on 5 key goals to help us effectively tackle housing and homelessness, including:
- Building inclusive, livable neighbourhoods by increasing housing choices, creating more housing in mixed-use, transit-friendly areas and supporting housing for diverse needs.
- Creating options for secure housing tenure by making homeownership more attainable and supporting co-operatives, co-housing and other collaborative housing options.
- Supporting a renter-friendly community by protecting and growing rental housing stock and supporting tenants facing displacement and other challenges.
- Fostering a healthy supply of non-market housing by pursuing non-market housing partnerships, providing regulatory support and facilitating redevelopment of low-density sites for affordable housing.
- Ending homelessness by preventing people from entering homelessness, supporting ways out of it, and enabling collaboration and coordination among homeless-serving partners.
We began developing the HOME Strategy in early 2020, as a follow-up to the Mayor's Task Force on Community Housing, which engaged over 2,600 Burnaby residents. Since then, there's been extensive public and stakeholder consultation on the City’s housing needs and goals. We also completed a Burnaby Housing Needs Report, which informed the HOME Strategy.
Read HOME: Burnaby's Housing and Homelessness Strategy
Housing Needs Report
The Housing Needs Report provides key insights into housing needs in our community over the next 5 and 10 years.
Mayor's Task Force on Community Housing
The Task Force Final Report makes 18 recommendations for advancing the vision of affordable housing