Learn about dog licensing in Burnaby, including registering or renewing a licence or replacing lost tags.
Every Burnaby dog over the age of 4 months must have a valid licence. As a pet owner, it's your responsibility to buy an annual dog licence per the City's Animal Control Bylaw.
The City provides a branded dog tag with a licence number, which must remain fastened to your pet's collar at all times. If your dog is found unlicensed, you'll be issued a ticket. In some cases, your pet may even be impounded.
When you order new or replacement tags, you'll receive them in the mail 5-7 business days after we receive your application.
Burnaby has a limit of 3 dogs per household.
Online dog licence registration and renewal
You can register for a dog licence, renew an existing one and request replacement tags online on My Property Portal.
For more information about dog licensing watch one of our helpful videos by expanding the sections below.
Find these on the top right-hand corner of your annual dog registration notice.
You can pay using your credit card. We charge a credit card fee of 1.75% per the City's Fee Recovery Bylaw 13640.
|Annual charges||Before March 1||March 1 and later|
|Spayed or neutered dog||$31.00||$43.00|
|Transfer to new owner||$13.00|
|Transfer to replacement dog||$13.00|
*A vicious or dangerous dog is:
- A dog that has bitten or caused injury to a human being or another domestic animal without provocation (not including dogs that have bitten or injured a trespasser).
- a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, an American Pit Bull Terrier or any dog recognized as a pit bull or pit bull terrier, including dogs of mixed breed with predominant pit bull or pit bull terrier characteristics.
If you're claiming your dog is spayed or neutered or you're changing your licence renewal class type from unaltered to spayed/neutered, we may ask for proof of procedure (e.g. a veterinary certificate)
How to pay
My Property Portal
Welcome to the City of Burnaby's My Property Portal.
- Access your utility fees, property tax, dog and business licence information–anytime, anywhere.
- Sign up for e-billing to receive notices and bills via email.
- View your current and past invoices.
- View your account payment history.
- Check account status to ensure account is up to date and payments are received.
Pay by mail
4949 Canada Way
Burnaby, BC V5G 1M2
Pay by credit card
Having a My Property Portal profile is the easiest way to see your account balance and make payments. If you would like to make a credit card payment without creating a profile, please visit our direct payment page. A non-refundable 1.75% convenience fee will be applied.
Pay via online banking
When paying via online banking, phone banking, ATMs or financial institutions, select Burnaby Dog Licence as a payee and enter your account number (starting with 5xxxxxx) found on the front of your notice.
Benefits of dog licensing:
- It allows the City to return your pet if lost or stolen.
- It gives us an idea of the number of dogs in the City to offer better facilities and programs for pets, like dog off-leash parks.
- It helps fund animal-related emergencies and programs, like adoptions, public education regarding dog ownership and enforcement of animal bylaws.