Recognizing outstanding service to our community
The Kushiro Cup recognizes individuals who have volunteered their time and energy over the years to better our city. They are respected in their community and have shown remarkable spirit, positivity and leadership. They help Burnaby thrive and make it a great place to live, work and raise families. The award celebrates their contributions to culture, arts, recreation and other non-elected civic activities and is presented annually at a council meeting.
- Be a Burnaby resident.
- Have volunteered in several community programs in Burnaby for at least 10 years.
- Have positively influenced the community and the lives of its citizens.
- Not be an elected official holding office.
- Be nominated by at least 2 nominators who will submit a resume.
Nominations are now closed. Check back here in early 2022 for updates to nominate 2021's outstanding citizen.
Any community member can nominate an outstanding citizen by filling out an online application.
- Explain in detail the nominee's contribution and impact on the community.
- Send examples (videos, photos, news clippings, etc.) to support your nominee.
What makes an outstanding citizen?
All the past winners of the Kushiro Cup are from diverse backgrounds but share the common values of leadership, service and community.
2020 Outstanding Citizen Award
The 2020 award went to Simone Brandl for her leadership, passion and volunteerism, making a difference for many families and individuals in Burnaby.