Celebrating diversity in our community
Diversity is a key feature of our society today. We celebrate the full diversity of our community and welcome everyone regardless of ability, age, background, ethnocultural identification, gender, identity, immigration status, income, heritage, life experience, housed or unhoused status, sexual orientation and other factors.
The City works to remove barriers and create a welcoming environment to ensure that all our citizens can safely and equitably access City spaces, programs, employment opportunities and services.
Our multicultural and equity policies
- Recognizes that a culturally diverse society is a source of social, cultural and economic enrichment and strength.
- Supports equality and the rights of all citizens to equitably access municipal services.
- Promotes understanding, sensitivity and positive attitudes towards people of all ethnic origins.
- Doesn't tolerate racism or discrimination of any kind.
- Promotes participation of citizens from all backgrounds in the development of municipal bylaws, policies, programs and services.
- Reflects multicultural and intercultural values in bylaws, policies, programs, and promotion and delivery of service.
Burnaby Intercultural Planning Table
We're a founding member of the award-winning Burnaby Intercultural Planning Table (BIPT). BIPT works to share resources, identify service gaps and support new immigrants and refugees in Burnaby.
Canadian Safe Harbour Champion Award
The City was awarded the Canadian Safe Harbour Champion Award from the Affiliation of Multicultural Societies and Service Agencies (AMSSA) for our work in promoting multiculturalism. AMSSA works towards strengthening diversity in BC. We're also a member of the Canadian Coalition of Municipalities Against Racism and Discrimination.
Report racism and discrimination
If you witness or are involved in an instance of racism and discrimination, report it to the Burnaby RCMP. The Burnaby Together: Organizing Against Racism and Hate Table is also available for additional support and guidance.