Make a difference in your community
Work with your councillors, business leaders and community members to advise council on important issues and help Burnaby remain a great place to live, work, learn and play.
The City's committees, commissions and boards make decisions that impact you, our citizens. As a volunteer, you can be part of the decision-making process.
How to apply
You can apply for 2022 vacancies online. We are accepting applications for volunteer positions on the Board of Variance, Community Heritage Commission, Environment Committee, Parks Recreation and Culture Commission and the Public Library Board. The deadline for submissions for these vacancies is October 20, 2021.
- be a resident of Burnaby
- not be a current employee of the City
- have some experience or knowledge about the committee you're applying to
- serve the full term of your appointment—about 6 years (first and second terms are generally 3 years each)
- Once you submit your resume and application form, we process them per the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and Local Government Act.
- Council members will review all the submissions. The mayor will then recommend the appointment of the successful candidates.
- We'll notify all the candidates about the results.
Being on a committee, commission or board is an unpaid volunteer position.