Learn how you can appeal to the Board of Variance
The Board of Variance is an independent body that considers variances to the Burnaby Zoning Bylaw regarding the siting, size and dimensions of buildings.
Consisting of 5 council-appointed members, the board has the authority to grant variances where compliance with the bylaw may cause a person undue hardship.
Apply for a variance
Before you apply to the board, you must apply for a building permit. If the building department denies your application because, for instance, your building plan doesn't meet the requirements of the Zoning Bylaw, you may consider appealing to the Board of Variance.
You can get an application form from the Legislative Services' office.
- Write the name of the owner and the property's address.
- Ask the Planning and Development Department – Building division for a referral letter for the Board of Variance. Your Building Permit application will be denied if the design is not in compliance with the Burnaby Zoning Bylaw, unless your Board of Variance appeal is granted.
- Submit the site plan of the property on an 8.5" x 11" letter-size sheet of paper.
- Write a letter stating the reason(s) for requesting a variance—eg: “This requirement will cause undue hardship because [describe how the requirement will cause an undue hardship].”
- For 2024 hearings, pay the application fee of $465 at the time of submission.
2024 meeting schedule
|Application deadline||Date of hearing|
|December 5, 2023||January 11, 2024|
|January 9, 2024||February 8, 2024|
|February 7, 2024||March 7, 2024|
|March 5, 2024||April 4, 2024|
|April 2, 2024||May 2, 2024|
|May 7, 2024||June 6, 2024|
|June 4, 2024||July 4, 2024|
|August 6, 2024||September 5, 2024|
|September 3, 2024||October 3, 2024|
|October 8, 2024||November 7, 2024|
|November 5, 2024||December 5, 2024|
If you feel a proposed appeal is affecting you, you can take the following steps:
Appear in-person in the Council Chamber, City Hall, 4949 Canada Way.
Write to Board of Variance
Email your written comments to Legislative Services by 2:45 pm on the day of the hearing using the online form below.
Alternatively, email your written comments by including a subject, your name and address and send it to [email protected].