About this project
The City of Burnaby has partnered with Simon Fraser University to deliver a new fire station on Burnaby Mountain, and expect to begin construction in early 2023.
Fire Station 8 will improve response time and coverage during fire emergencies, ensuring the well-being and safety of the community.
The City will plan, design and construct Fire Station 8. SFU is providing the site –located on University Drive between Nelson Way and Tower Road on the east side of the mountain – to the City at no cost. In 2021, the federal government committed $30 million towards the project.
Fire Station 8 is expected to be operational in 2024.
Features of Fire Station 8:
- 15,000 square feet, on two levels
- 3 drive-through bays for vehicles
- separated decontamination space for crews
- seismically designed to meet post disaster standards
- low-carbon heating and operations