About this project
One way we'll hit the City's carbon reduction targets is by reducing carbon emissions from buildings. The City adopted the BC Energy Step Code requirements as part of our Climate Action Framework to help us move towards a carbon-neutral community. The plan includes a transition to net-zero emission new buildings and retrofits of existing buildings.
Zero emission buildings: net-zero new
Burnaby's Green Building Policy requires most new construction to comply with the BC Energy Step Code. In addition, the City has introduced measures to encourage low-carbon energy systems. Learn about specific Green Building Policy requirements for developers and builders in Burnaby.
Moving forward, the City will support the construction of net-zero buildings by:
- Pursuing innovative low-carbon construction methods, including mass timber construction.
- Exploring policies to support the creation of zero emission neighbourhoods.
- Reducing the amount of construction and demolition materials going to landfills by establishing a robust construction and demolition recycling program.
- Expanding BC energy step code and low carbon energy system requirements.
Zero emission buildings: retrofits
Over the next 3 decades, the City aims to retrofit existing buildings to improve energy efficiency and reduce emissions. As a first step, we're proud to be among the first municipalities to join the Building Benchmark BC Program. Through this pilot program, the City, the building owners and managers receive detailed energy and carbon performance data to identify opportunities for operational efficiency improvements and retrofit projects.
Moving forward, the City will support building retrofits by:
- Transitioning from heating permits to heating and cooling permits with supporting heat pump education.
- Advancing low-carbon programs for existing commercial and multi-family buildings.
- Developing a citywide zero emissions building retrofit strategy.
- Energy efficiency incentives for homeowners and builders.
- Designing new buildings for Energy Step Code (BC Housing publications): Design guide and builder guide.
- Bylaw Amendment for Energy Step Code.