About this project
TransLink and the City of Burnaby are partnering to study street improvements on Hastings Street between Boundary Road and Duthie Avenue. The objective of this comprehensive project is to determine which improvements can be made over the next 3 to 5 years to make Hasting Street a more welcoming corridor for all users.
Why Hastings Street?
Hastings Street serves as a major connection to neighbourhoods, businesses, and medical and community services, as well as a commuting corridor in Burnaby and to surrounding communities.
Most of the corridor is currently designed for the movement and parking of vehicles, and experiences significant congestion during peak times. At the same time, bus ridership has grown at twice the regional rate with 1/3 of all people travelling the corridor, travelling by bus.
This project will support the key targets and themes outlined in Connecting Burnaby: Burnaby’s Transportation Plan by:
- improving bus reliability and reduce travel time delay
- addressing access and parking issues near retail areas
- addressing road safety and neighbourhood livability
- minimizing neighbourhood impacts
- facilitating active transportation modes such as walking, rolling and cycling
- improving the safe and efficient movement of people and goods across the region
For regular project updates or to learn more about the project, please visit Translink's project page.