The spirit of the Giro di Burnaby is alive with the return of the Girolino for kids presented by Appia Development. Burnaby brings a pedal and dash event open to all kids aged 5-11 to Confederation Park. Helmets are mandatory and bikes must be in good working order to participate.
Advance registration is required, registration closes July 11.
Thank you to our partner:
Location: Confederation Park
There are 3 different bike and run course lengths:
- Mini course (5-6 years old): 350 m bike/200 m run
- Medium course (7-8 years old): 700 m bike/500 m run
- Long course (9-11 years old): 1050 m bike/500 m run
Cheer on the riders while enjoying food and fun activities for the whole family. Remember to bring a blanket or chair.
- 7:30-8:30 am: Bike check in*
- 8:45 am: Pre-race meeting for young athletes
- 9 am: Race starts. There will be staggered races based on age groups starting with the 5-11 year olds.
- 10:15 am: Medal presentations start. Presented by Burnaby City Council
- 11 am: Barbecue by the Burnaby Firefighters. All proceeds go to the Burnaby Firefighters Charitable Society. Race participants will have a ticket to redeem.
*Bike drop off takes place between 7:30-8:30 am at the north end of the Confederation Park gravel field (located on Penzance Drive off Willingdon Avenue).
Please Note: training wheels are not permitted. Wear running shoes and dress appropriately for weather and activity.
If you have questions on race logistics, please email [email protected].
Once registered please completed the photo release and informed consent forms and send to [email protected] or drop-off at Eileen Daily Pool (240 Willingdon Ave, Burnaby) before Tuesday, July 11.
To ensure the safety of both residents and event participants and to accommodate some of the planned activities, please be advised that traffic will not be permitted on the following streets between 6 am-1:30 pm on July 16.
- Penzance Dr: from Willingdon Ave. to North Beta Ave.
- No access: to Burnaby Lawn Bowling Club and Burnaby Central Railway off of Penzance Dr.
- Liberty Place: residents will not be able to access Penzance Dr.
The parking lot on the north side of Penzance Dr. close to North Beta Ave and street parking will not be permitted along Penzance Dr. and will be restricted to “No Parking” or “Special Event Parking” between 10 pm on Saturday, July 15 to 1:30 pm on Sunday, July 16. Any vehicles that are not moved will be towed. If your vehicle is towed, it will be towed to the north parking lot of Eileen Daily Leisure Pool.
Please plan ahead to avoid closure and parking restrictions.
We ask that you please modify your parking and travel plans to avoid the road closures and parking restrictions on Sunday, July 16, 2023.