Preliminary Plan Approval

Learn about Preliminary Plan Approval and how to apply for one

Preliminary Plan Approval (PPA) is granted by the Director, Planning and Development when a proposed development meets all the applicable zoning bylaw requirements or rezoning amendment bylaw.

You'll need a PPA when you propose a change of use, an increase in permitted floor area or a property's external appearance. The changes can be in the form of a new land use, building or structure–or of an addition or alteration to an existing land use, building or structure. All commercial, industrial, institutional and multi-family residential developments require a PPA–single and two-family dwellings do not.

Approval process

The planning division starts the process by preparing an evaluation of the proposed development and circulating plans to other City departments—engineering, environmental engineering, fire, building, Fraser Health Authority—to get their input.

The time it takes to process a PPA depends largely on the complexity of the application. You can expedite the process by ensuring the information you provide on your PPA forms is accurate and complete and responding promptly and thoroughly to the requirements outlined in the Burnaby Zoning Bylaw and set by the planning division. 

How to pay

You can pay invoices online with your credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express) or in-person with cash, cheque or debit card. Per the City's Fee Recovery Bylaw 13640, we'll charge a fee of 1.75% on payments made with a credit card.

Pay online

Next steps

Every development proposal needs additional approvals before it can proceed. For example:

You'll need a building permit to construct new buildings or structures or make additions or alterations to existing buildings or structures. Electrical, plumbing or other permits may also be required.

You need a PPA before you can apply for any building permit, except in the case of single and two-family buildings and tenant improvements that don't require a change of use.

View permits

A tree permit is required if the proposal involves cutting down (or damaging) protected tree(s).

Have questions?

Planning General Inquiries

Was this page useful?