We can't change the weather, but together, we can get through it
Whether you're a resident or a Burnaby-based business, you play an essential role in keeping everyone safe during snow and icy weather.
Sidewalks and multi-use paths
Owners or occupiers of single-family, two-family, multi-family, industrial, commercial or institutional properties are responsible for:
- Removing any snow or ice from all sidewalks and multi-use paths surrounding their property no later than 10 am every day, including holidays, per Section 31 of Burnaby's Street and Traffic Bylaw.
City staff inspect properties when we receive complaints about uncleared sidewalks and may issue the following fines:
|Industrial, commercial or institutional||$400.00|
|Single-family, two-family, mobile homes||$100.00|
Learn the correct way to remove snow this winter.
- Shovel and de-ice your sidewalk and driveway.
- Pile snow on your property or boulevard, not on the road.
- Leave 1 m between garbage and recycling bins and cars or snowbanks.
- When shoveling out your vehicle, pile the snow on the boulevard or your property, not on the road.
Keep your sidewalks safe for pedestrians this winter:
- Shovel and de-ice sidewalks every day, including holidays, per Section 31 of our Street and Traffic Bylaw.
- Don't shovel snow onto the road.