Oversize Load Permits & Truck Routes

Truck routes

If your vehicle weighs more than 11,800 kg, you must only use the designated roads on the city’s truck route map. Vehicles that weigh over 3,600 kg aren't allowed to park overnight on any city street. If you’re going to a destination that isn't on a truck route, use the shortest route between your site and the closest truck route.

We occasionally update the map to show changes in the road network. So check this page often to view the latest map.

Truck route map


If your vehicle is oversized—exceeds 20 m in length or 2.6 m in width—you’ll need a permit to travel within or through the city. Permits can’t be transferred between vehicles and must describe the load dimensions, travel route and travel time.

Apply for a permit online


  • Single trip - $33
  • Annual trip - $230

Requirements for vehicles travelling within Burnaby:

Length Width under 2.6m 2.6 - 3.1m 3.1 - 3.7m Over 3.7m
Under 20m (0) (0) (1) (2)
20 to 22m (0) (0) (1) (2)
22 to 24.5m (0) (0) (1) (2)
24.5 to 30m (1) (1) (2) (2)
Over 30m (2) (2) (2) (2)

(0) - Term permit issued, no notification needed.
(1) - Term permit issued, notification needed.
(2) - No term permit issued.

  • The number in brackets specifies the minimum number of pilot cars needed.
  • The maximum height for a term permit is 4.55 metres. When over 4.55 metres, the permit will be issued only after approval from BC Hydro and Telus.
  • When notification is required, you (the permit holder) must apply for approval from the Engineering Department for each trip.
  • Moves must take place outside of rush hours. Oversize trucks cannot travel between 7-9 am and 3-6 pm, Monday to Friday.
  • For provincial highways, please apply for a permit by calling the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure at 604-660-8300.

Was this page useful?