Apply for a special event road closure
Do you want to use a road, sidewalk, or park for your event like a block party, festival, or parade? Apply for the right permit by exploring the information below.
For a block party, you must:
- Submit a written request to the engineering department.
- Follow the street and traffic bylaws.
- Arrange the barricades provided by the City crew and be present at all times.
- Be responsible for any loss or damage to property or injury to any person during the event.
- Submit a petition with support from 75% of the affected residents in favour of the road closure. This applies specifically to first-time applicants.
There are no fees or insurance requirements for holding a block party.
Email [email protected] or call 604-294-7944 with any questions.
If you’re organizing a festival in a City park, call the parks department at 604-294-7450 for more information.
If your festival requires a road closure, contact the traffic department at [email protected] or call 604-294-7944.
Apply for a traffic control permit if you require road closure for your project.
For temporary parking restrictions, call the Film Office at 604-294-7314.
To apply for a permit for a parade, please submit a written request to [email protected]. You can also call 604-294-7944 with any questions.
Your letter must include:
- road/street location
- description of the event and activities
- date and time of the road closure.
- contact name and phone number
Guidelines for approval
Council may only approve an application if it complies with the following conditions:
- The organizer or a marshall must supervise the parade.
- All participants must respect the rights and property of individuals en route.
- Submit a signed copy of the “City of Burnaby Permit for Short Term Use and Occupancy of City Lands” at least 1 week before the event.
- As an organizer, you must get an approved traffic control plan and arrange for volunteers at all the barricaded locations except where Burnaby RCMP is present.
- You must provide a letter at least 2 weeks before the road closure to all affected businesses and residents. You must also announce the closure in the local newspapers and radio stations.
All events must:
- have liability insurance of a minimum of $5 million
- name the City as co-insured
- include the date and name of the event, a 30-day cancellation notice and a cross liability clause