Special Events

Apply for a special event road closure

Do you want to use a road, sidewalk, or park for your event like a block party, festival, or parade? Apply for the right permit by exploring the information below.

For a block party, you must:

  • Submit a written request to the engineering department.
  • Follow the street and traffic bylaws.
  • Arrange the barricades provided by the City crew and be present at all times.
  • Be responsible for any loss or damage to property or injury to any person during the event.
  • Submit a petition with support from 75% of the affected residents in favour of the road closure. This applies specifically to first-time applicants.

There are no fees or insurance requirements for holding a block party.

Email [email protected] or call 604-294-7944 with any questions.

If you’re organizing a festival in a City park, call the parks department at 604-294-7450 for more information.

If your festival requires a road closure, contact the traffic department at [email protected] or call 604-294-7944.

Apply for a traffic control permit if you require road closure for your project.

For temporary parking restrictions, call the Film Office at 604-294-7314.

To apply for a permit for a parade, please submit a written request to [email protected]. You can also call 604-294-7944 with any questions.

Your letter must include:

  • road/street location
  • description of the event and activities
  • date and time of the road closure.
  • contact name and phone number

Guidelines for approval

Council may only approve an application if it complies with the following conditions:

  • The organizer or a marshall must supervise the parade.
  • All participants must respect the rights and property of individuals en route.
  • Submit a signed copy of the “City of Burnaby Permit for Short Term Use and Occupancy of City Lands” at least 1 week before the event.
  • As an organizer, you must get an approved traffic control plan and arrange for volunteers at all the barricaded locations except where Burnaby RCMP is present.
  • You must provide a letter at least 2 weeks before the road closure to all affected businesses and residents. You must also announce the closure in the local newspapers and radio stations.

For runs, walks and cycling events that use City streets, sidewalks, boulevards and parks, please fill out the form below and email this request to [email protected].

Questions? Contact:

Transportation Division
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 604-294-7944

Parks Department
Phone: 604-294-7450


All events must:

  • have liability insurance of a minimum of $5 million
  • name the City as co-insured
  • include the date and name of the event, a 30-day cancellation notice and a cross liability clause

Was this page useful?