Add outdoor seating or expand into outdoor spaces
Businesses in Burnaby will now be able to take advantage of the spring and summer weather by adding outdoor seating or expanding their outdoor spaces to create a vibrant, outdoor environment through the Active Patio Pilot Program, running until October 31, 2023.
The new pilot program builds on the Active Sidewalks, Open Businesses program that was created in 2020 to assist local businesses with reopening safely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Active Patio Pilot Program allows businesses to expand their outdoor spaces for customers to enjoy while helping to make Burnaby’s streets even more vibrant. This includes providing outdoor space for:
- restaurant seating
- merchant displays such as racks and outdoor tables
- pick-up/drop-off kiosks, customer queuing and other uses
This program aligns with the vision, goals and policies in Connecting Burnaby, Burnaby’s Transportation Plan.
Read the Active Patio Program guideline below to find information about fees and operational and accessibility considerations.
What types of patios are permitted?
Businesses can apply for 3 types of patios. Each type of patio has specific operational conditions—read the Active Patio Program guidelines for more information.
Sidewalk patios are located on the sidewalk adjacent to the business address.
Boulevard patios are located in the boulevard space on the sidewalk, offset from the business address.
Curbside patios are located next to the curb and in the parking lane.
Apply for a permit
- Review the Active Patio Program guidelines and identify what type of patio you would like to install.
- Complete and submit the application form, along with the standard Certificate of Insurance (COI) form below and all other required supporting documents, to [email protected].
- (non-standard Certificate of Insurance forms may be accepted but will result in a longer processing time)
- An invoice for the application fee will be issued after your application submission.
- We will review your application, and if successful, issue a Temporary Encroachment Permit.
Contact us at [email protected].