This committee advises Council on various social issues, including leasing space at Burnaby's community resource centres, needs of seniors, youth, families, ethnic groups, 2SLGBTQIA+, persons with disability and socio-economic equity issues.
Foundational documents that inform and provide context for the priorities and actions of the committee include the Social Sustainability Strategy, the Official Community Plan, and the Corporate Strategic Plan. Our Social Planning Committee is made up of 11 members, including 3 Council representatives, 4 resident representatives and 3 non-voting advisory groups, as recommended by staff. Each member has a 3-year term with an opportunity for one renewal to a maximum of 6 years.
- Councillor Alison Gu, Chair
- Councillor Maita Santiago, Vice Chair
- Councillor Richard T. Lee, Member
- Trustee Jen Mezei, Burnaby Board of Education
- Swapna Antony, Resident Representative
- Élie Lubendo, Resident Representative
- Doris Mah, Resident Representative
- Monique Nelson, Resident Representative
- Antonia Beck, Burnaby Inter-Agency Council
- Sherman Chan, Burnaby Inter-Agency Council
- Leanne Appleton, Fraser Health Authority