Deer Lake Artist Residencies

Deer Lake artist residencies provide unique opportunities for emerging and established artists from various disciplines, cultures and locations to create and produce new work. Multiple disciplines are represented in the residency program–visual artists, theatre artists, musicians, land-based practitioners, poets, authors and more.

Deer Lake Park and surrounding properties are on the ancestral and unceded territories of the hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ and Skwxwù7mesh speaking peoples. The setting provides a tranquil environment for artists to contemplate and create. Hiking trails through forests and meadows allow for bird and animal watching all year round.

The City's cultural amenities around Deer Lake Park include the Shadbolt Centre for the Arts, Burnaby Art Gallery and Burnaby Village Museum. These public facilities are cultural hub anchors in the area owned and operated by the City. The live in accommodations in the residency program are heritage houses: Baldwin House was designed by Canadian architect Arthur Erickson and built in 1963-1965 and Eagles Estate, the former home of Drs. Blythe and Violet Eagles was built in 1929.  Studios and community engagement spaces are available at the Arts Centre, Gallery, Museum and may include libraries, parks and community centres.

Residencies may include short-term housing, studio use or production, and can be as short as 2 weeks or as long as 8 weeks. Note exception is ceramics which is available only for 6 weeks starting early August and ending mid September. We may provide some equipment if needed, but we expect all artists to be self-sufficient.

Shadbolt and Burnaby Art Gallery staff will support you in creating artist-led community engagement projects relevant to your residency. These projects may include performances, public readings, artist talks, panel discussions or online engagements.

Baldwin House and Eagles Estate are newly renovated heritage homes nestled around the lake and a 10-minute walk from Shadbolt and the Burnaby Art Gallery.


  • To provide a unique residency opportunity for professional artists from multiple disciplines, cultures and locations. 
  • To create an opportunity for increased vitality in arts communities via exploration, shared living, practice, creation and production. 
  • To support vitality in the arts by welcoming working artists from a range of communities to share their work. 

The intention of these residencies is to provide time and space for professional artists, with emerging to established practices, to create and produce new work. Available for artist stays by invitation or application, the Deer Lake Residencies offer 2 houses and studios for inquiry, exploration, collaboration and creative production.

Call for resident artists

2024 deadline: April 8, 2024 (covering residency requests between March 1-December 5, 2025)

How to apply

Thank you for your interest. Applications are now closed. 

If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]

Types of residencies 

You may request a combined live and workspace or just as a studio residency. If you choose the live and work option, your project must be compatible with co-living and not disturb other residents. You may even request an exclusive house residency if your project involves group collaborations (e.g. music). The houses are not equipped to be art studios and aren't suitable for wet or dirty arts practice.

Each house can accommodate 4 artists and comes with separate furnished rooms. Bathrooms, kitchen and other common spaces like living rooms, porches, decks and gardens are shared.

The houses

Baldwin House

Designed and built in 1965 by internationally renowned architect Arthur Erickson, Baldwin House is a modern post and beam structure that makes extensive use of glass as a material. It's located in a forested area on the south side of Deer Lake.

The house was originally commissioned by Ruth and John Baldwin.

Eagles Estate

Eagles Estate is at the southwestern tip of Deer Lake, overlooking the lake and park to the north. Constructed in 1929, the Eagles Estate features a 0.65 hectare (1.6 acre) garden designed by pioneering Canadian horticulturalist Frank E. Buck.

The City purchased the property from UBC in 1995, which inherited it from the Eagles family. The house is now recognized as a civic heritage site based on its historical, artistic and cultural significance. The garden was a retreat and tranquil centrepiece in the lives of the original owners, Blythe and Violet Eagles.

Studio residencies at the Shadbolt allow artists to practice new or in-progress works in visual arts, pottery, ceramics, etc. These residencies often include staff resources with technician time and materials.

Artists can use the studios throughout the year if the space is available.

Please note: Ceramic residencies take place for 6 weeks in August and September only. 

Production residencies are usually for a group of artists to work collaboratively towards a project and involve a high degree of public engagement. Production residencies are by invitation only.

If you feel you'd benefit from a collective residency, we'd like to hear from you.

Contact [email protected] to learn more about our production residencies.

Existing residencies include:

  • Shadbolt Centre performing arts creation and performance residencies
  • Burnaby Art Gallery curated exhibits or public art commissions

Partner residencies involve an organizational commitment to an ongoing relationship between the City and the partner institution.

Existing partner residencies include SFU Department of English, Playwrights' Theatre Centre and Or Gallery. To learn more about partner residencies, email [email protected].

Questions and answers

How does the application and selection process work? 

Once the call for resident artists opens on the City of Burnaby website, please access the online application form and answer all questions regarding project proposal, your community engagement idea, administrative details and provide samples as required for your discipline. 

The selection of residents will be based on criteria that centers diversity in all forms to support creative vitality between and among resident artists and surrounding communities. Staff representatives and designated partners will review all applications for suitability and eligibility based on program criteria. Final decisions will be made by a peer advisory committee.  

All applicants will be informed of the results of the adjudication process approx. six months after the application deadline. 

Eligibility criteria: 

  • City of Burnaby employees are not eligible to apply although we welcome employee artists to engage and collaborate with resident artists. Former City staff are eligible to apply after a minimum of twelve months of separation from the City.
  • We welcome applications from diverse communities, including but not limited to BIPOC and 2SLGBTQI+ communities.
  • These residencies are open to adults (19+) only.
  • Not for families or friends. The residency is not an Airbnb or hotel and only identified project collaborators are allowed to be in the houses or caregivers for artists with accessibility needs.
  • Artists who will be working with vulnerable populations in their community engagement, being in a position of trust, must confirm in the application and provide a satisfactory police information check at the time of contract/agreement signing.
  • Applications will be prioritized based on the following guidelines: 
  • Creativity and vision, rooted in an engaged practice 
  • Relevance to under-represented communities
  • The relevance and impact of the residency for the artist
  • Artists who have not been in the residency in the past or adding a new phase of development to a previous residency plan

What does the residency provide? 

Depending on the type of residency you are applying for, the residencies provide in-kind accommodation in a fully furnished heritage house with each artist allocated one private bedroom for the duration of the residency and/or a studio space in City facilities. 

Available studios include professional dance studios, theatre rehearsal studios, visual arts studios with sinks and counters as well as ceramic studios with wheels.

Are international artists eligible to apply for the residency program?

National and international artists are welcome to apply to the Deer Lake Artist Residencies program. Please note that the program does not cover any costs related to traveling to and from the residency or visa requirements. Priority will be given to local and Canadian artists.

Are the houses and studios of the residency wheelchair accessible? 

Both houses are not wheelchair accessible. 

What type of work can be done at the houses? 

As both houses are heritage assets with related furnishings, only clean types of work are allowed at this point such as composing, writing, drawing, computer media work and developing or rehearsing scripts within small groups. Any wet, dirty, heavy, or multi-media work cannot be accommodated at the houses at this time.

What is the difference between the option of Housing residencies, Studio residencies, Production residencies and Partner residencies? 

Deer Lake Artist in Residency program offers different types of residencies, which include Housing residencies, Studio residencies, Production residencies and Partner residencies. 

Housing residencies are an option for artists who want to stay at one of our residency homes - Eagles Estate or Baldwin House. Eagles Estates currently has two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living room and a kitchen. Baldwin House has three bedrooms, two bathrooms, two living rooms and one kitchen. Each house can either accommodate two separate artists who would share the space, or one group/collective at a time. 

Studio residencies entail a studio space at the Shadbolt Centre for the Arts, which is a renowned facility with studios for dance, music, theatre, ceramic and visual arts. You can apply for a Studio residency if you are a local artist/group of artists/collective that only needs a studio space to develop work. 

There is the option to apply for a Studio and housing residency, for artists looking for both during their stay. Since both homes, Eagles Estate and Baldwin House, are heritage houses, they are not suitable for creating messy or large-scale work. You can indicate your preference for Studio and housing on the application form. If having access to a Studio during your residency is optional, please indicate this on your application. 

Production and Partner residencies are by invitation only. Production residencies are a collaboration between artists and the City of Burnaby and typically lead to a public performance and a high degree of public engagement. If you are interested in a Production residency, you can use the regular application form and indicate interest in a Production residency in the project proposal. It is advised that you contact our staff or the AIR Liaison at [email protected] prior to applying. 

Partner residencies are a partnership between the City of Burnaby and arts and culture organizations by invitation. Previous partners in these residencies include the SFU Department of English, Playwrights Theatre Company and Or Gallery. If you and your organization are interested in a Partner residency, please contact [email protected]

Is Community Engagement required as part of the residency? 

Giving back to the community through artistic/educational engagement is expected in lieu of the in-kind value of the housing and/or studios and can be a vital part of your residency experience. Therefore, priority will be given to proposals incorporating creative approaches to engaging with communities. Staff will help facilitate your ideas to bring them from concept to reality.  

Some examples of community engagement include talks, presentations, workshops, demonstrations, readings, rehearsals, works shared online and other opportunities that best suit the artist’s work and abilities.  

Please note that community engagement activities cannot take place within the Housing residency homes--Eagles Estate and Baldwin House. 
Working around Deer Lake Park is possible with restrictions and it is advised that you coordinate with parks staff well in advance along with other City facilities and public spaces. 

Please refer to the separate tab for further information about community engagement. 

What is the in-kind value of the residencies?

The market value of the use of the houses, including the value of utilities provided where applicable, has been assessed to be (2023 values): 

  • $1,400/week for entire house @ Eagles Estate or $800/week per floor
  • $1,100/week for entire house @ Baldwin House or $800/week per floor

Excluding equipment and funds for community engagement materials and support resources.

$22.00-$62.00/hour (non-profit rate) for a studio at the Shadbolt Centre generally depending on the type of studio space needed for use. There are price differences for specialized studios and theatres.

Do resident artists receive any funding? 

The residencies include the use of studio space and/or housing which has a market value. The program provides limited funds for materials and equipment in approved community engagement activities which will be confirmed by staff during the planning process. 

What kind of equipment is available? 

The Deer Lake Artist Residencies can provide a projector, projector screen and portable keyboard. Eagles Estate has an upright piano forte in the living room. Equipment is shared between Deer Lake Artists in Residence and it is therefore possible that not all equipment is available at all times. The program might be able to provide additional equipment to the ones outlined above. Those items are regularly used by programs at the Shadbolt Centre for the Arts and might not always be available. Please get in touch with the program liaison to arrange equipment needs.  

How long are residencies usually? 

Residencies are designed with flexibility and the needs of artists in mind. We prefer a minimum of 2 weeks and a maximum of 6-8 weeks in order to provide artists and our community with meaningful time and engagement. The length of the residencies should benefit the artist and community engagement.  Preferences will be given to the following residency requests: 

  • Studio - minimum 2 weeks 
  • House - minimum 4 weeks

For both residencies, the maximum is 8 weeks pending availability and program needs.  

Are you allowed to invite collaborators for your residency? 

If you are hoping to invite collaborators for your proposed project during the Deer Lake Artist Residency, please indicate the number of collaborators and/or members of your group on the application form. This will help us with planning, scheduling and assigning appropriate spaces. We try to keep the maximum occupancy of the house to two artists or one group/collective at a time to not disrupt any artists’ time. Please notify us as soon as possible if there is a change in your project proposal and you want to invite collaborators, to allow enough time to assess the feasibility of such a change. 

The maximum number of collaborators and members of groups is oriented on the maximum capacity of each used space, whether it is a studio, the Baldwin House or the Eagles Estate. Please refer to the separate tab describing the houses in more detail. 

What is the time commitment expected during residencies? 

Deer Lake Artist Residencies last between 2 and 6 weeks. Studio time and housing are limited and considered valuable resources. There is an expectation that artists in residence use the studio spaces at all times they are allocated to them or otherwise let staff know, in order to ensure optimal use of spaces. Artists who are scheduled for Housing options are expected to be there during the term, unless otherwise coordinated with the program liaison. If your plans change significantly, please get in touch with the program liaison.

Are any social events arranged for artists to meet each other? 

We will inform residents of peer artists on site in advance of their stay and encourage artists to connect informally with each other. During the summer studio residencies at the Shadbolt (August – September), informal gatherings and open studios may be facilitated at the beginning and end of the period. Please note that if you are the only Artist in Residence on site in a studio or a house, your main interactions may only be with staff at the Shadbolt Centre for the Arts, Burnaby Art Gallery, or other Departments. 

    What kind of parking is available?  

    Parking passes will be provided for the duration of the residency if applicable. Underground and surface parking lots are available at the Shadbolt Centre, with a loading bay to the west side of the main building. Parking is also available at the Burnaby Art Gallery.  The residency houses have driveways and street parking available. The Baldwin House and the Eagles Estate each have two parking stalls.

    How do I get to the area by transit? 

    • The 144 (SFU northbound/Metrotown southbound) connects the Skytrain stations Metrotown Station in south Burnaby and Sperling Station in North Burnaby and runs along Deer Lake Avenue with stops right outside the Shadbolt Centre and Burnaby Art Gallery. 
    • The 123 (Brentwood Town Centre northbound/New Westminster Station southbound) runs along Canada Way with stops located close to Deer Lake Park.
    • The 129 (Metrotown Station northbound/Edmonds Station southbound), sometimes numbered 133, in a horseshoe route connects Metrotown in south Burnaby, Holdom and Gilmore Stations in North Burnaby, and Edmonds Station again in the south. 

    Which disciplines can have residencies in the houses? 

    Artists of all disciplines can apply for a residency in the houses, although please note that both of these houses are designated heritage and are not suitable for large-scale or messy production. We ask you to apply for the Studio and housing option if this will best suit your practice. 

    Where are the residency houses located? 

    Both homes that are part of the Deer Lake Artist Residencies are located around Deer Lake in Burnaby, BC. The houses are a 5–10-minute walk from the Shadbolt Centre for the Arts and Burnaby Art Gallery, and within the cultural precinct of the City.

    How many people can stay in the houses at one time? 

    Typically, two resident artists are booked in the houses at the same time, with one artist residing on each floor. If you are applying as a collective or group you are welcome to use all bedrooms provided (3 in Baldwin and 2 in Eagles), please indicate the number of collaborators in your application form. 

    What is included in the house? 

    The houses are fully furnished and include shared common spaces and private bedrooms, utilities, WIFI, a clean premise upon arrival and landscaped property. 

    Baldwin House Amenities:

    • living room, dining room, kitchen, office, recreation room, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, laundry, covered decks overlooking the lake, covered car port for 2 vehicles. Approx. 2,600 sq. ft. on two levels.

    Eagles Estate Amenities:

    • *living room, dining room, kitchen, 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, laundry, upright piano, patios overlooking the gardens and park, unpaved driveway for up to 4 vehicles. Approx. 3,200 sq. ft. on three levels. 

    The kitchens are equipped with basic appliances, such as a toaster and coffee maker. Please note that we are not able to provide basic food items such as oil, sugar, salt and pepper due to food safety restrictions.  We provide towels and linens. A washer and dryer are available at each house, but artists are also welcome to bring their own towels and linens if preferred. 

    Are pets allowed? 

    Pets are not allowed on the premises to support an allergy free environment for participants and to protect the heritage furnishings and assets, unless otherwise arranged through the agreement process.

    Can I invite my partner/spouse? 

    Guests are not permitted inside the houses unless otherwise coordinated with the program liaison. The program’s insurance covers the artist and approved collaborators only.  You are welcome to meet your guests outside in the park and at the Shadbolt Centre for the Arts.

    Can I invite guests? 

    Guests are not permitted inside the houses unless otherwise coordinated with the program liaison. 

    Do I have to spend the nights in the house all the time during my residency? 

    We ask all our artist residents to ensure the building’s safety and security, which includes staying at the house. If you plan to be absent, please let the staff know.

    What is there to do in the area? 

    Deer Lake Park is the cultural hub of Burnaby, with the Burnaby Art Gallery, the Burnaby Village Museum, the Burnaby Arts Council and Gallery, and the Shadbolt Centre for the Arts. These cultural centres present exhibitions, music and theatre productions throughout the year. The major malls Metrotown Centre and Crystal Mall are a short 10-minute bus ride away where you will find shops, a food court, a movie theatre and the Metrotown branch of the Burnaby Public Library. From Metrotown, downtown Vancouver is a 20-minute Skytrain ride away. Nearby New Westminster is also rich in cultural attractions, including New Westminster Quay and the Anvil Centre. 

    Deer Lake is also a treasured natural space. The walk around the lake will normally take about 40 minutes and can be done in a loop. At different times of year there are turtles, river otters, bald eagles and salmon that share the habitat. Seasonal boat rentals are located at the east end of Deer Lake.

    Where do I purchase the food I require during my stay? 

    There are a few options for purchasing food which are all relatively close by when taking transit. Uber, Lift, local taxi services and delivery are also available to you. 

    • There are a few local restaurants (Pizza, African and Indian Food) near the intersection of Canada Way and Sperling Ave.
    • Nearby Metrotown Centre has several convenient food options: Real Canadian Superstore, T&T Supermarket, PriceSmart Foods, and a Walmart Supercentre (Transit: 144 Metrotown). 
    • “The Heights” on Hastings Street has several green-grocer markets, bakeries, Cioffi’s Deli, Safeway, and Sungiven Foods Market. There are also many fabulous restaurants located in the Heights (Transit: 129 Metrotown). 
    • There is a Save-On-Foods and Whole Foods a short walk from the Brentwood Town Centre Skytrain Station (Transit: 123 Brentwood Station).
    • Our neighbouring city of New Westminster “Uptown” neighbourhood has a variety of grocery stores and restaurants. At the New West Skytrain station there is a Safeway grocer, and interesting food options at the New Westminster Quay across the street and footbridge over the railroad tracks (Transit: 123 New West Station). 

    What kind of studios are available? 

    Professional dance studios, theatre rehearsal studios, visual arts studios with sinks and counters, ceramic studios with wheels. Each studio has different set-up and requirements, depending on the type of studio. Please indicate any special studio needs on the application form. Studio availability depends on program needs and existing studio bookings. 

    Are there elevators in the Shadbolt Centre we can use? 

    The Shadbolt Centre has a standard elevator; please keep the weight limit in mind when loading equipment. Mathers House has studios for Visual Arts, Creative Writing and Ceramics but does not have an elevator as it is a heritage site. 

    What time does the Shadbolt Centre close and can I hang out in the lobby? 

    The Shadbolt opens at 9 am and closes at 9 pm with some exceptions for special events and programs. You are welcome to spend time in our atrium and exhibition spaces during operating hours.  

    Is the Shadbolt Centre wheelchair accessible? 

    Access to all areas is provided by elevator, ramp, or level entry. Automatic doors are located at the east and west entrances. There are twelve accessible seats available in the front row of James Cowan Theatre, with indoor access from the side of the theatre. The upstairs studios in Mathers House are not wheelchair accessible. 

    Where can I park my car? 

    Free randomized parking at the Shadbolt Centre includes 70 underground stalls and 108 surface stalls at the north end of the building. Some stalls are designated for those with parking permits only. There are 4 accessible stalls—3 in the north parking lot which can be accessed from Deer Lake Ave and 1 in the south underground lot. Street parking is also available on Deer Lake Ave.  Note there are busy peak times for parking during special events and cultural program activities that bring in thousands to the Arts Centre and area so please plan ahead as space is not guaranteed.

    Are pets allowed? 

    Pets are not allowed on the premises, unless otherwise approved by the program staff representative or guide dogs for those with visual impairments. 

    What do I do if I am booked for a studio space but don’t need it? 

    Studio times are precious and costly, we therefore ask you to cancel it in advance if there are times that you don’t need it. Please reach out to the program liaison to cancel so others can use it.


    Are there studios with specialized dance flooring and equipment?  

    All 4 dance studios in the Shadbolt Centre have sprung floors. 3 studios have specialized dance specific flooring which will be dedicated to professional dancers or dance groups only. All studios are equipped with mirrors with drapes to cover them, a sound system and ballet barres.

    Will storage be provided to me when I use a dance studio? 

    There is no space provided within the dance studios for storage of any kind, including costumes or props. The studios are heavily used outside of residencies for rentals and regular programs. 


    Does the Shadbolt Centre have practice studios that musicians can use during the residency?  

    The availability of studios depends on the time of day and time of year. Generally, the studios are fully booked for programs from September to the end of June from 2:30-9:30 pm weekdays and all day on Saturdays with reduced studio use in July. We will do our best to accommodate studio use outside of these dates and times.

    What kind of equipment and instruments are available to me in the music studios? 

    All studios contain upright pianos, metronomes and Bluetooth speakers.

    How big are the studios? 

    The practice studios are approximately 6’x10’ (or 2 meters x 3.3 meters).

    Are the studios sound proofed? 

    The private studios are not fully sound proofed and are located along a hallway next to each other. Sound does bleed through the walls and into the hallway. 


    Are there studio spaces similar to a theatre with sound and lighting that can be used without the additional cost of a technician? 

    Yes, up till spring 2024 we have a black box studio space available to resident artists which include lighting and a sound system that is easily operated by the user. 

    Will storage be provided to me when I use a black box studio? 

    If you are provided with a dedicated time in the black box studio, you will be able to keep items you require stored during this time.  Please take all valuables with you.  If you are using the studio intermittently during programming months, storage space cannot be offered. 

    Visual Arts

    What equipment is available for use? 

    The Shadbolt Centre and Burnaby Art Gallery have a large variety of equipment that can be requested. If available, staff will arrange to have the equipment provided to you during your residency. A list of equipment available for your use will be shared with you upon request.

    Do I have the opportunity to exhibit my work? 

    Yes, exhibition space inside the Shadbolt Centre is available throughout the year on a limited basis (3-6 weeks) for group or solo exhibitions and can be coordinated with the Visual Arts Programmer at the Shadbolt. These spaces include plinths, galleria cases and wall space.  Exhibitions at the Burnaby Art Gallery are generally programmed years in advance. Studio visits are welcomed and encouraged, however please contact the Gallery’s Director/Curator or Assistant Curator if you would like to arrange a visit.

    Is storage available to me during my residency? 

    When using a visual arts studio for a dedicated period of time you will be able to keep all the items you require stored in that space. Most studios will be locked when you are not there so all of your items will be secure. For the studios that cannot be locked due to fire safety, you may bring in your own padlock to store valuable items in an empty cupboard. If you are using the studio intermittently during programming months, storage space cannot be offered.

    When do the Visual Arts Studios Residencies take place? 

    Visual Arts Studios are available early to mid August until mid September for 1 to 2 weeks at a time. Part-time residencies on specific days of the week or evenings outside of programming times may be able to be accommodated upon request.


    When do the Ceramic Residencies take place? 

    The Ceramic Arts residencies take place starting in August and ending in September. These residencies are 5-6 weeks in length. Specific dates change annually.

    With the Ceramic Residencies being close to 6 weeks in length, is accommodation paired with studio use? 

    One room of the Residency Houses is dedicated to a ceramic artist who is approved for the summer residency. As the Ceramic Residency is longer than the typical residency stays and only happens for a short period of each year, we want to ensure that artists from outside of the Lower Mainland have an opportunity to participate.

    What equipment is included in the ceramic facilities for artist use? 

    Ceramic residencies provide artists with a dedicated space to work with a table, one or more wheels, ware carts and shelving for greenware and bisque pieces. Artists also have access to a scrounge room with bats, rolling pins, scales, banding wheels, etc., and shared equipment such as a slab roller and two extruders. Artists will also have access to the kiln shed where there are glazes, glazing tools and a spray booth. Artists who want to focus primarily on clay and glaze chemistry may apply to work in the ventilated glaze lab, which includes an extensive inventory of materials, scales and mixing equipment, ball mill, rock crusher, and access to test firings. 

    Are firings a part of the Ceramic residency? 

    All bisque firings are included in the ceramic residency. Gas and electric glaze firings can be arranged, and the costs of each firing will be provided to artists so they can book additional firings when they are ready. 

    What if I want to take part in a specialty firing (wood, soda, raku, sawdust)? 

    The Shadbolt Centre offers specialty firings which are scheduled during seasonal programming. Ceramic artists in residence may prefer to be a part of the firings held in late September and October as they are the closest to the end of the residency – we encourage summer artists to take part in these firings. If you are interested, the Ceramic Programmer will assist you with getting registered for a space in these programs prior to the beginning of your residency so that the work created during the residency can be fired this way. Please note that these firings do have space limits and will be charged to the artists at the regular cost of the programs.
    How much time are artists expected to work in studio residencies? 

    Because of the high demand and limited time available for ceramic residencies, we expect that artists who are provided with a dedicated space will be in attendance a minimum of 35 hours per week.

    What if I cannot finish my project by the end of the residency? 

    Projects not completed by the end of the residency period are expected to be taken home by the resident artist. We are not able to store unfinished work. 

    Are there full time and part time options for studio residencies? 

    The summer residency provides dedicated studios 7 days a week from 9 am-9 pm for the entire period of the residency, except for statutory holidays. If you wish to use a studio for only a few days per week, arrangements can be made in an alternate studio space which does not include in-studio secured storage as those spaces will be shared with other users. If available, a designated area in our basement damp room could be provided. 

    Are there any clay and supply costs covered in my ceramic residency? 

    Approximately 2 boxes of clay of your choice are included in the residency. Clay over and above this allotment must be purchased through the Shadbolt Centre.

    Do I have the opportunity to have an exhibition? 

    Yes, exhibition space inside the Shadbolt Centre is available throughout the year on a limited basis (3-6 weeks) and can be coordinated with the Ceramic Arts Programmer. These spaces include plinths and galleria cases. 

    Giving back to the community through artistic/educational engagement is in lieu of the in-kind value of the housing and/or studios and can be a vital part of your residency experience. The following is a list of frequently asked questions about the community engagement aspect. Each idea and proposal for community engagement activities is different and will bring up new questions that might not be listed here—please reach out to the program liaison with any questions you might have. We encourage you to be creative with your community engagement idea, what that means to you and how it could also be meaningful for your practice and process. We look forward to hearing your ideas!

    What are some examples of community engagement? 

    Past community engagement projects include performances of work in progress, open studios (sometimes with interactive activities for visitors), social media takeovers, talks, workshops, readings or open rehearsals. Look at our social media to see more past community engagements. 

    The following is a list of community engagement that has occurred in the past as inspiration: 

    • Stand-alone or pop-up concert, public reading or book launch 
    • Public sharing as part of a group event such as a cabaret
    • Public conversation about your creative inquiry 
    • Demonstrations for the public, students or staff. Priority is given to engagements for the public pending suitability. 
    • Social media takeover 
    • Presentations corresponding with a class that is part of the regular programming at the Arts Centre, Art Gallery, Museum, Library, community centres of other civic facility. 
    • Contribute to a festival or public programming organized by the Shadbolt Centre for the Arts or the Burnaby Art Gallery 
    • Exhibitions
    • Poetry or writing inspired by the location and shared with the public through social media platforms and/or pop-up readings. 

    When, during the span of the residency, does the community engagement take place? 

    The community engagement aspect can take place during your residency or after. It depends on your idea and feasibility. For instance, if you live locally and your idea is hosting a workshop, that could be something that will be incorporated into the official programming schedule of the Shadbolt Centre for the Arts or the Burnaby Art Gallery and take place in the next season or year. 

    Who should you talk to about your idea? 

    You can contact your AiR liaison and/or the programmer of your discipline at the Shadbolt Centre for the Arts or the Burnaby Art Gallery any time before or during your residency to talk about your ideas.

    Are there steps to follow to plan the community engagement? 

    The first step is to decide what you would like to do and talk to the AiR liaison and/or the programmer of the related discipline at the Shadbolt Centre for the Arts or the Burnaby Art Gallery. Collaborating with staff, we can then decide on a suitable date and place, work on a poster and social media content. Please note: if you require assistance from the City’s marketing team for the poster and promotion, the lead time is at least two months. 

    Does the community engagement idea have to be related to the project proposal for the residency? 

    Community engagement ideas are often related to the project proposed for your residency, but don’t have to be. However, it should be related to your artistic practice and can draw from past experiences. 

    Does the community engagement have to be related to the body of work I am/we are developing during the residency? 

    Community engagement can relate to new work you are developing during your residency, but doesn’t have to. If you are not ready to share new works with the public, you do not have to. Community engagement projects should be something you feel comfortable about doing that may have been done in the past with minor changes for Burnaby and sharing with others and the public. 

    What support does the Deer Lake Artist Residency program provide for community engagement ideas? 

    Depending on your idea, availability and planning time, the Deer Lake Artist Residencies program provides studio space, staff resources and some equipment. Our staff will help facilitate to bring your ideas from concept to reality. 

    How far in advance do you have to plan my community engagement? 

    We encourage you to already have an idea for community engagement when you apply for the Deer Lake Artist Residencies. A few months’ lead time allows us to provide more support for your idea. Please keep in mind, depending on your proposed community engagement, more time to plan and implement might be necessary. 

    Are there special considerations when planning a community engagement aimed to invite vulnerable persons?

    Yes, all Artists in Residence whose community engagement is directed specific to vulnerable persons and children under the age of 19 have to provide a Police Information Check. “Vulnerable groups include the elderly, the mentally and physically disabled, at-risk children and youth, ex-combatants, internally displaced people and returning refugees, HIV/AIDS- affected individuals and households, religious and ethnic minorities and, in some societies, women.” (

    Can you partner with another Deer Lake Artist in Residence to host a community engagement? 

    It is possible to partner with another DLAR to conduct your community engagement idea. 

    Can you partner with a specific community group for my community engagement? Partnering with community groups that are relevant to your project/idea is welcome and encouraged. If you have a group in mind with whom a creative exchange would be mutually beneficial, please let us know when we begin to plan your engagement and we can reach out to specific groups in Burnaby to facilitate conversations. 

    Was this page useful?