Secondary Suite Program

Do you rent out any part of your property?

If you're a resident who owns a single or two-family home in Burnaby, you must complete a Supplementary Utility Fees Declaration to state whether or not you're renting out your home or any suite on your property. If you haven't completed your form, are a new owner, or there's been a change in the rental status of your property, you must complete a declaration within 30 days of the change. 

Failing to submit a declaration may result in a $1,000 penalty. Learn more about residential utility fees.

Find out about secondary suites, their benefits and how to build and maintain one.

A secondary suite is a self-contained unit within a single-family dwelling with a separate entrance, kitchen, living area and bathroom.

If you own a single or two-family home in Burnaby, you must complete the declaration form stating whether or not you're renting out your home or a suite on the property. Send your form to [email protected].

Apply for a secondary suite

If you want to install a secondary suite or legalize an existing secondary suite, you must:

  • Meet the zoning conditions: you can only have a secondary suite within single-family dwellings in the following zones: R1, R2, R3, R4, R5, R6, R9, R10, R11, R12, A1, A2, A3, and RM6. Find out if your property qualifies.
  • Meet the BC Building Code requirements.
  • Have the necessary building and sub-trade permits.
  • Get all the inspections done.
  • Pay the supplementary utility fees: water and sewer charges will be billed with utility notices.
  • Obtain a business license if renting but not living on the property.
Find out more

How do secondary suites help?

Secondary suites provide several benefits, including acting as a mortgage helper, increasing the value of your home, facilitating aging in place, offering affordable housing and more.

Fines for non-registered properties

If you're renting an unregistered secondary suite, you may have to pay a $1,000 fine under the Burnaby Waterworks Regulation Bylaw and the Burnaby Sewer Charge Bylaw.

The penalty may be issued for any of the following:

  1. failing to submit a declaration
  2. failing to submit an additional declaration within 30 days following a change in the rental status of a suite
  3. submitting a false or inaccurate declaration

Supplementary utility fees

As a property owner, you must also submit the supplementary utility fees declaration form if one (or more) of the following conditions apply:

  • no previous declaration form was submitted
  • there's a change in property ownership
  • the rental status of the property has changed
Find out more

Have questions? Contact us:

Supplementary utility fees and declarations - tax office

Phone: 604-294-7350
Email: [email protected]

Building General Inquiries

Was this page useful?