Temporary Use Permits

Public Notices: Statutory public notices are published on the City’s website and in the City’s eNewsletter

Sign up for our City Connect eNewsletter to receive public notices directly in your inbox. 

How to apply for a temporary use permit

Temporary use permits (TUPs) allow temporary land uses not permitted under the current zoning districts, subject to Council approval. TUPs are valid for up to 3 years and may be renewed once for an additional maximum 3 years. 

Before you apply for a TUP

  • Contact the planning division at 604-294-7400 or email [email protected] to discuss your proposal. This may save you time and help you with any concerns or questions you may have. 
  • Review the Zoning Bylaw requirements related to the proposed temporary use and the zoning district where the use will be located.
  • Discuss your application with the Strata Council if the site is strata, and the owners and tenants of neighbouring properties to address their concerns as part of your proposal.  
  • Ensure the proposed temporary use aligns with adjacent land uses regarding the intensity of use and visual design of the space, and does not impose significant impacts on the natural environmental. 
  • Ensure your proposal aligns with the City’s community plans, bylaws and policies related to the proposed use and the area where the use will be located.
  • Ensure to include all the information and documents required in the requirement checklist as part of the application package.  

Submit your completed application form and supporting documents to [email protected].  If you have any question regarding the application requirements, please contact the planning division. 

Application review

After you submit your TUP application,  staff from appropriate City departments will review your proposal and may refer the application to external agencies before they send a report to council. Council will examine the potential impacts the change in land use may have on the neighbourhood and the City, and based on the outcome, approve the issuance of the permit, refer the application back to staff or refuse the application.. 

Generally, it takes approximately 3 months to process a TUP application. 

How to pay

You can pay invoices online with your credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express) or in-person with cash, cheque or debit card. Per the City's Fee Recovery Bylaw 13640, we'll charge a fee of 1.75% on payments made with a credit card.

Pay online

Have questions?

Planning General Inquiries

Was this page useful?