Property-related fees and charges
Managing your property and the obligations that go with it can present some challenges. However, it's still your responsibility to pay for police false alarm call-outs, taxes and utilities on time. As a City, Burnaby is obligated by law to charge property owners with fines and penalties when these obligations aren't met.
We also offer a number of property-related services with fees.
Police false alarms
New! You can now pay your police false alarm fees online with your credit card.
Please note: Credit card payments are only accepted online (not in person) and a non-refundable 1.75% convenience fee will be added to the total amount.
False alarm fees are charged according to the Burnaby False Alarm Bylaw. False alarm charges that haven't been paid by December 31 in the year they occurred will be transferred to property taxes as arrears, and will be subject to daily interest.
Number of false alarm incidents (FAL)
FAL Fee (charge per incident)
|1st-3rd false alarms||No Charge|
|4th false alarm||$100|
|5th false alarm||$150|
|6th and each subsequent false alarm||$300|
Taxes and utilities
Utilities discounted amounts
Utility notices are payable by the annual March due date if you want to be eligible for the discounted amount. Partial payments don't receive a discount. If your utilities fees aren't paid by December 31, they will be transferred to property taxes as an arrears balance and daily interest will apply until payment is received.
Property tax penalties
A 5% penalty is applied to outstanding current taxes and/or an unclaimed home owner grant after the July 5, 2021 deadline has passed; and an additional 5% penalty will be applied after September 2, 2021, to outstanding current taxes.
The City has no authority to either waive or modify these penalty amounts. A payment or Home Owner Grant that's even one day late is subject to the full amount of the penalty.
Services that require a fee
Check the Burnaby Bylaws fees and charges for financial administration services for the specific amount for each of these fees:
- Tax certificate are generated in digital format from API.
- If you have ordered a paper copy of a tax certificate, it will be issued at the tax office and you can pick it up there.
Dishonoured cheque processing fee
- The dishonoured payment must be replaced with cash, debit card, money order, bank draft or certified cheque at City Hall and will will be subject to a service charge for each dishonoured payment.
Refund processing fee
Mortgage processing fee
- There is a fee for each property folio requested.
- There is a fee applied to each parcel.
Historical tax information fee
- The City charges an hourly rate to search historical tax information for a property.
- Please note: This tax search request must be requested by the owner.