The Public Works Operations Division of the Engineering Department keeps Burnaby’s roads, sidewalks and green spaces safe, clean and beautiful for everyone to enjoy. We do that by performing routine monitoring, repair and maintenance.
If you notice damaged or unsafe conditions on our roads, sidewalks or walkways, please call Engineering Dispatch at 604-294-7200.
Every year we inspect commercial and residential sidewalks for damage and carry out the following:
- remove trip hazards by concrete grinding or levelling
- repair defects using concrete and asphalt fillets
- remove and replace sidewalk panels, curbs and gutters
To protect properties against flooding from runoff and surface drainage we:
- maintain roadside ditches, creeks and waterways
- inspect and maintain debris collection points
- clean and reduce environmental pollutants and control erosion
- install and maintain asphalt water control curbs
To reduce the risk of flooding in homes, businesses and public areas while protecting fish and improving wildlife habitat, we take several measures, including:
- inspect and maintain dikes, monitor flow
- repair and maintain pump stations
- remove sedimentation from reservoirs
- inspect and maintain culverts
- control and remove weeds and invasive species.
Learn more about flood prevention.
We maintain and improve roads to reduce hazards and ensure safe public travel:
- resurface roads
- repair curbs, gutters and potholes
- adjust manholes and valve boxes
- grind and pave asphalt
- handle road base repairs, fill cracks on streets
- grade and repair gravel shoulders
- maintain utility cuts and reinstate surfaces
If you notice a pothole, report it to us at 604-294-7200 or email [email protected].
We clear snow and de-ice priority locations to keep our roads and sidewalks safe for people walking, driving, and cycling.
- Spray salt and brine solution on roads, bridges, curves and bends to reduce the build-up of black ice, frost and packed snow.
- Clear snow from bus stops, wheelchair ramps, streets and sidewalks near municipal facilities such as libraries and community centres on a priority basis.
- Maintain safety and access to core facilities, essential services and arterial traffic routes
Learn more about the City's snow and ice control program.